• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PROTEST BY LICENSEES We don't want 7.5.3-beta. We want 7.5.3-fullversion without bugs

Bugs are a natural part of software, and ISPs throwing beta versions on operational servers are just being wreckless.

More concerned about paying 25% annual subscription fees, and not getting much more than bug fixes and minor feature additions. It appears this 25% is funding addiitonal product lines that should be part of the the Plesk baseline, such as sitebuilder, anti-spam, etc.

I continue to pay the subscription renewals, but if Plesk doesn't mature with more useful features (that actually work), that'll stop.

Just updated Linux and Windows boxes to 7.5.3 - lost webmail on the Linux machines and AWstats on the windows boxes - god know what else.

Been there done that - and it doesn't excuse shoddy regression testing.

You on the payroll? My servers are in pre-production smartass.

Experiences

PLESK is an excellent product that I stand behind fully.

I will admit that I have had several mail issues that have occurred when upgrading, however, I also use RPM distributions of 3rd-party applications such as Scott Shinn's RPMs for PHP, MySQL, SpamAssassin, etc. (www.atomicrocketturtle.com) -- as I do use these, I consider that any problems I have during install --MAY-- be a problem that I have encountered.

Additionally, I use a 1and1.com server which causes the autoinstaller to often run out of disk space when downloading RPMs and thus prematurely ending installation -- I have to manually install in most cases.

Now, the mail issue I have had has involved SpamAssassin I believe -- mail being stripped and returned with 0 length. I've since managed to fix this by fully removing ART's SpamAssassin v3.0 and reinstalling SpamAssassin v2.6 and all associated RPMs... a 10 minute fix after testing...

So other than having to resolve the mail issue, I have to say that I'm extremely pleased in the PLESK package. I'm not too sure about SW SOFT as a company though. I think that their pricing is a little high in relation to the support that they offer on their product, the difficulties that some users can run into with their product, and limiting the length of when users can upgrade.

But that's just me. I'm always looking forward for new versions and have enjoyed the recent improvements in Reloaded...

Smartass? Thankyou.. Payroll, no.. But we have enough SW-Soft bashing posts/threads and nothing good ever comes out of them.. I've made my point very clear on many occasions about bashing them for their releases... The problems so far have been easy fixes, nothing I would burn SW-Soft down for. :rolleyes:

*FULL-ACK*

When i hit the update-button i want the update to be done the way an update should be done!

I don't want to spend hours reading forums and fixing what the updater broke!

Just imagine if windows-updater or whatever OS you are using did that to your comp. It's hours and hours of work and time you have to spend to fix it again! And i definetely hate that!!

We have about 70 Plesk servers. This upgrade was seamless and there are no bugs on any of our servers. We would never use a Plesk interface to upgrade though. We are Plesk admins with real skills and don't need an idiot-proof cpanel like system. ;)

Originally posted by Laurence
We have about 70 Plesk servers. This upgrade was seamless and there are no bugs on any of our servers. We would never use a Plesk interface to upgrade though. We are Plesk admins with real skills and don't need an idiot-proof cpanel like system. ;)

AMEN! :)

Stuart

..and don't need an idiot-proof cpanel like system. ;)
If it was fool-proof this thread wouldn't exist? :rolleyes:

why you don't say the same thing when your car buyed 2days ago won't start???

aren't you a mechanic??? you do not need a car that work... you just need to spend some $$ to buy a car... then you will fix your car yourself???

if i buy a thing that should be capable to do X, Y and Z actions... i'll expect that thing will be able to do that actions without auto destruction!!!!

Originally posted by EvolutionCrazy
why you don't say the same thing when your car buyed 2days ago won't start???
Well, obviously I'd give the car to one of my senior mechanics who works for me and tell him to fix it. Because I'm not a mechanic, I'm a driver but because I have so many Ferraris parked outside, I'm damn well sure I have the best mechanics working for me. ;)

Isn’t it time for this thread to end. It really is gong nowhere.

Might as well keep it going ... keeps all the moaning in one thread instead of in the middle of useful threads.

i think what's needed is a move away from this silly plesk upgrade from the web interface. it's a nice feature but it doesn't always work.

what would be better, is that if people were shown how to update via command line/shell by more experienced users a whole lot of grief could be saved.

eliteist attitudes help nobody and only make people look arrogant.

if a product doesn't work in the way it's supposed to, the customers have every right to complain. if the more experienced users want to help (and a big thanks to the ones that do) then this forum should be the place to get that help.

Woah! I havent read all of this, I dont have two days.

There will always be software with bugs, nothing is perfect. Lets all go say FULLACK to Microsoft and they will make a bug free version of Windows? Errmm...... I dont think so!

With regards to upgrades, when upgrading from 7.0.x to 7.5.x on our FreeBSD systems, it also meant an upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3 of FreeBSD.
This is where VMware comes in very very handy, I tested this god knows how many times, tested everything, I must have spent two weeks testing it. Got it perfected, I figured any problems out before doing it live.
Then I upgrade, one server per night.... how many problems because of the upgrade...... none whatsoever.

Well, I have used Plesk since version 1.0 and I stand by both the *nix version and the Windows versions as they are very stable compared to some control panels.

I will get flamed, I know that.... but to be honest I do not care! We are using cPanel and Ensim at the moment... we are ditching those for an all Plesk environment and for HSPcomplete, and Virtuozzo.

You dont like Plesk? Go use Ensim for WIndows..... try contacting there support ;) I'm sure you will all be back fairly soon!

Such angst in you people!

[RANT]

While I agree that Plesk is not perfect, their "bugs" are hardly ever the cause of people's pain. After working there in both support and management roles in the past, I learned quickly that problems are almost always caused by the admin(s) of the servers, not the software.

This is one of the problems that I have always had with control panel software. It somehow got marketed as a newbie friendly management system for your server, when that is not at all what it should be. I began using plesk almost 5 years ago. I didn't start using it because I needed a tool to manage my server. In fact, as most of us who have been around will attest to, we would much rather handle the server side administration from the console rather than through a web interface. I started using plesk, because I needed an interface for end users to manage their accounts. It was only a bonus that it setup the accounts for me, and did some basic server managememt functions.

Now people just expect that Plesk will magically do everything for them. Being an admin means clicking some buttons in a web interface to most users.

Sure, if they say their product should do something, it should work. The problem is, in most cases, it does work under normal testing. A software company can't possibly know about every random configuration. It doesn't help when you have major dedicated server providers misconfiguring things from the start.

Upgrades will always be hit or miss, WITH ANY SOFTWARE! Testing (on your part) is key. Don't close your eyes and click a button, and expect it to just work. Whether it should work or not is beside the point. You need to take responsibility for YOUR servers and YOUR data, and stop pointing your fingers.

As Paul put it, if you don't like Plesk, don't use it. Go get cpanel or ensim, and see how bug free they are. No one forces you to use this product.

[/RANT]

I am a software developer and work for a software vendor company for many years.

Any software WILL always has bugs -- specially new software maintenance and release levels.

Nobody can ever test every possible scenario any user will use one or another piece of software.

The key is to provide the meaningful diagnostic, i.e. messages and debugging tools with which users can correct their own mistakes or send the information to a responsible software vendor for further analysis, correction and possible software improvements.

We've been using Plesk for the last two years.

Some of the problems we have had were introduced by a third party software packages and some by Plesk itself. We used to use Ensim prior to Plesk. Plesk is much better and offers more features and flexibility than Ensim, hence, more possibilities for errors.

Just a few thoughts.

Best regards,
Alex.

Back