• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PROTEST BY LICENSEES We don't want 7.5.3-beta. We want 7.5.3-fullversion without bugs

Yeah, those of you who think that other CPs are better, have a browse at webhostingtalk.com's forum and see how many people also have problems with CPanel and such....

IMHO, CPs are to make certain admin tasks easier, but it is not an AI, so there is no way for any CP to anticipate all possible circumstances.

Newbie admins (and even experienced ones) are definitely responsible for their own servers and should not *assume* anything, ever.

I agree with serve-u.net in that a majority of people's problems stem from their own actions, not only hosting admins, but just plain users as well.

No matter what CP is being used, there are always the same gripes and grumbles from admins, pointing the finger at the CP they are using (not just Plesk).

Heck, in the corporate world, look at the problems with installing Windows XP SP2 on workstations and all the things that breaks!

Unfortunately, in the real world, software is buggy, software updates are buggy, and there is not much any of us can do about it.... except write our own, then we have only ourselves to blame.

Nice Thread for New Users

I'm currently an Ensim Pro user. I ran into some problems recently with an upgrade, and thought I'd go check out switching to another hosting management software solution. I didn't like how my recent upgrade required an entire overhaul of my system.

However, I know Ensim is quick to solve their own problems with patches or other fixes. But, I don't like having to do things like rolling back my PHP version just for Ensim... nor that I can't run PHP5/MySQL5 without major issues.

So, after looking around the Plesk solution, I was thinking of switching. Obviously the eye-candy for my customers, but also the possibility of upgrading with Expand, and Virtuoso in the future. That seemed like a great end-to-end solution that Ensim doesn't quite offer.

Then I read this thread.

"We have about 70 Plesk servers. This upgrade was seamless and there are no bugs on any of our servers. We would never use a Plesk interface to upgrade though. We are Plesk admins with real skills and don't need an idiot-proof cpanel like system. "

This quote accompanied others by mostly 300+ post users saying the same thing: "If you don't like it, tough, go find other software."

First of all, if Plesk isn't going to support their own panel's method of upgrade, you have a major issue. Second, I am already with another panel. You just made me feel infinitely better. Now, I don't have to worry about setting up a second server and migrating over all my users, or worrying about how my security and offerings will be affected. You also made me feel good about the current company I'm already with.

Those normal software changing worries are trumped by the worry that this company, and the experienced users usually relied upon for extra help by the less knowledgeable ones, just don't care. You guys are quick to point out the problems that everyone else has, and saying that such makes problems here excusable.

As for "Yeah, those of you who think that other CPs are better, have a browse at webhostingtalk.com's forum and see how many people also have problems with CPanel and such...." I just came here because I didn't want to have to go from RHEL3 to RHEL4 and wanted less system integration so I could do more with php/sql. I've used Ensim for going on 3 years now. I've also used cPanel in the past. No, it's not that bad out there. And a major difference is that when I ask for help, I usually get it, or can find someone with the same problem that already has a fix.

Actually, the Ensim users I talk to don't have the same gripes as the people here. We have gripes, but not like these. And, Ensim has made very large shifts due to customer feedback, like ripping their system's tentacles away from most of the system now.

BTW, that'd make a great marketting slogan: "We are Plesk admins with real skills and don't need an idiot-proof cpanel like system. Buy today! (Offer not valid to those without 'da real skillz')"

I wonder if that guy tells his customers they're idiots when they have problems:

Customer: MySQL setup fails when I use the control panel's setup function.

Admin: You l0s3r, you can do it flawlessly through the shell interface.

You guys should worry less about those migrating away, which is harder to do. Worry more about those who never will migrate to Plesk, which is very very easy to do.

First Commandment of Sales: "Thou shalt not threaten new customers by telling them (or have them hear you say it to another customer) that if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else. For they shall not putteth up with one's ****, and shall leaveth hastily."

Then again, some of you have 70 servers and so many Ferraris parked outside. Such are not inclined to the assistance of us geeks with lifetime sentences to work out our own basement offices eating Taco Bell and staying up late running triple tape backups once a month. I'm surprised that such would even taint their manicured hands touching a keyboard anymore, because they seem out of touch in every other respect.

Anyways, thank you. You have saved me from making a big mistake in switching. At least at Ensim, you can get quick responses to the problems caused by their upgrades, even if their upgrades require you to only be upgraded to a certain point, forcing you to downgrade packages before upgrading Ensim.

Regardless of what comes up of this conversation, Plesk lost a customer who was VERY EAGER to jump on board, but your community and your lack of response to that community, has scared me away. I will not be back to even look at replies. Right or wrong, if I actually spent time registering for this forum just to reply about why I won't be switching to Plesk, many others simply closed the browser window on Plesk the moment they read this thread and changed their minds. Oh well, your loss. I'm heading back to see about that RHEL3 to RHEL4 upgrade.

And yes, if you are unhappy, please do switch. There are real communities around Ensim who won't bad mouth you for not being 'uber leet'.

Back