• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail default Bounce/Reject behavior

V

voodoochile

Just a headsup. I've seen this mentioned several times on the forums and I thought I'd share my fix.

By default, when Plesk provisions a domain, it's default behavior towards mail is to send a bounce with "user does not exist" back to the sender.

This is not cool.

Dictionary spam attacks are the norm now, so when Joe Spammers tries to hit 20000 spam emails to a domain you host, your Plesk server accepts, processess and responds by sending out 20000 pieces of email. Now, the default behavior it appears of PSA under BSD is when the load average gets up there, it shuts down Qmail and Proftpd (the programs run from inetd). This too, is uncool.

For all domains you currently have, you can follow the directions below to help yourself out a bit.

*** PLEASE MAKE A MYSQLDUMP BACKUP OF YOUR PSA DATABASE BEFORE PROCEEDING. ***

Fire off the mysql client included with Plesk (mine is in /usr/local/psa/mysql/bin/) and use the admin user and your admin password to get log in.
use psa;
update Parameters set value ="reject" where value like '%bounce%';

This will change any domains that are set to bounce to reject the emails instead

I don't have the syntax to update the defaults handy, but I'll post that when I dig it up.

Seems to work great for me. Thanks for the tip voodoochile.

M

How will changing these values in the psa database directly influence qmail's behavior? Don't you need to run something like /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk -v afterwards to generate the new qmail configuration files?

Back