• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail: Emails nt delivered to mailboxes... stay in Queue

PedroCostaNeves

New Pleskian
Hi All,

I'm having a hard time figuring why me emails are not delivered to mailboxes.

A bit of context:
Plesk pannel: 11.5

This server was supposed to be a new server (upgrade) from a previous who was working correctly (Also Linux with Plesk but both older versions).

After new server installed and websited up and running, I decided to create mailboxes and then copied all mailboxes (including emails and folders) to this new server.

First issue I got was i could not connect, until I figure out permissions were incorrect (for root after copy) and fixed it to be accessible by "popuser" (each user to access his mailbox).

Now i can connect, but new emails stay on qmail and can't be delivered to mailboxes.

Even after I have deleted the emalboxes and recreate them (now new emails are being delivered) all those emails in the queue can't be delivered.

I forced queue flush with "postqueue -f" but I get errors on the log:

(temporary failure. Command output: .qmail has prog delivery but has x bit set. (#4.7.0) 4.2.1 Message can not be delivered at this time )

I have search all over for this error and can't seem to find an explanation that helps me.

Which user should i give permissions (if that is the case) so tha both popuser (email user) and qmail/postfix can write on the mailboxes and deliver messages?

Can anyone here point me in the direction please?

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Pedro

Note: I'm newbie in Linux

Hi,

how did you tried to copy all mailboxes over to the new server? Did you disabled the mailbox functions on the old server? Did you updated the MX records to the DNS servers?

Hi,

thanks for replying.
Yes all mail is being delivered to new server (it has the same ip as the old did - so no MX records or DNS needed to change).
The issue is inside the server... like i said, mail arrives and is placed in qmail queue folder (I can see messages there - and also from plesk looking at mail queue).
they just stay there and not delivered to mailboxes.

there was a permissions issue (i saw in the logs):

courier-imapd: [email protected]: chdir(/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/user) failed!!
May 26 22:47:05 courier-imapd: error: Permission denied

I have corrected this and new emails are now being delivered to mailbox.
But then all the emails that are sitting in the queue (received during this pevious issue) are not being delivered.

Now, by looking at the logs, i see the error:

(temporary failure. Command output: .qmail has prog delivery but has x bit set. (#4.7.0) 4.2.1 Message can not be delivered at this time )

I don't know what the "x bit" is... is it set there because of "SpamAssassin" (i saw something on the web that hinted these emails could have been marked as spam).
SpamAssassin service is no longer running (just to be sure) but if that was the case, now i don't know how to remove that "x bit"...

Thanks

Hi,

how did you tried to copy all mailboxes over to the new server? Did you disabled the mailbox functions on the old server? Did you updated the MX records to the DNS servers?

Can you provide me the user and group of a specific domain and the home folder /var/qmail?
Then I can check it against a running productive server.

I'm not sure what you mean... the "maildir" folder is set for the "popuser" Owner and Group.. is that it?

If you're thinkng of checking with MXtoolbox, like i said emails are coming in perfectly...and going out also... it's just the queue that is fulll and not being delivered to mailbxes.
I have tried "postqueue -f" and that's when i get that "x bit" error message I posted

Can you provide me the user and group of a specific domain and the home folder /var/qmail?
Then I can check it against a running productive server.

Back