• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail just stops, almost daily!!!

Originally posted by Cranky
Have you tried disabling the qmail check to see if it's watchdog which is killing qmail?

I just read about the watchdog 'solution' in another forum. I switched it off now just two hours ago. Now I am waiting and checking my Server / Plesk every hour.

I'll report.

i have read reports about the watchdog being responsible for qmail's crashes, so i uninstalled it at first... but qmail kept stopping, so i reinstalled the watchdog and changed the start parameter to /etc/init.d/qmail restart, so now most of the time it manages to restart qmail successfully... but not always.

QMail stable so far

Oke, qMail has been stable for thge last two days. So removing the 'watcher' works.

Thanks for the tip!

i finally gave up and set up a cron job

Code:
2       */2     *       *       *       /etc/init.d/qmail restart | mail -s "This Qmail is being rebooted to prevent annoying downtimes! Thanks for fixing!" [email][email protected][/email]

THANKS SWsoft!

Oh, man - this has been frustrating me for over a month too, both on FC2 and FC3.

I hope it's fix(able) soon.

I mailed SW-Soft about this and they supplied a fix, but the fix was to be applied to a different file to what they suggested. I informed them of this so they 'should' in theory be informing customers of the correct file to modify now.
Anyways, here's how to solve the problem on Debian 3.1. This fix has worked for me wonderfully.

In and around line 126 of /etc/init.d/qmail, the line should read:
pidofproc $proccess > /var/run/qmail.pid 2>&1

Restart qmail

Edit /opt/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc.tpl

Make the following changes:
set daemon 150
#check host qmail with address localhost
check process qmail with pidfile /var/run/qmail.pid
# start = "/opt/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --start-smtpd"
# stop = "/opt/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --stop-smtpd"
start = "/etc/init.d/qmail start"
stop = "/etc/init.d/qmail stop"
# if failed host localhost port 25 protocol smtp with timeout 5
if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

Restart monit

Give those a try, they worked for me.

thanks for posting this information...
i modified my files and am praying this will fix both problems (qmail crashing and watchdog not always able to restart it)
greets
hal

Qmail

I have been reading ALOT about this qmail problem... We're using 7.5.4 FedoraCore 2 75051209.14 .. It ran flawless till recently.

Then QMAIL just started to stop randomly during the day...

Nothing was updated, nothing was changed (except that we modified WatchGuard for HTTP monitoring...)

SO the only variable thats left is watch guard.

:(

Hi,

I am using Fedora Core 2 and 4PSA Server Assistance and i am having the same problem. Last night qmail stopped 5 times :mad:

The posted solution is for Debian system, is there any solution for Fedora Core 2?

Please help, these problem is driving me crazy.

Sufiah

Back