• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

QMAIL login problem via POP3

lvalics

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Hi all,

I have a strange problem on a new server.
Seems that POP3 is not working.
I can send over SMTP mail, I can send from program mail, but when I want to receive it from the server via POP3 or IMAP (Horde) I cannot autentificate successfully. On all account I get

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'MyAcount', Server: 'www.mydomain.ro', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Login failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

The password and username is correct, seems just that not working and MAILLOG not say anything strange. Any ideeas?

Have you tried using the full email address as the login name? [email protected] instead of just username?

Also what about the 'My server requires authentication' option in Outlook.

And lastly, try running mchk -v

yes, I tried also to put [email protected] but is the same :-((

My Server Require ... is for sending out (but yes is checked).

I tried /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk -v no errors, but no changes as well. :-(((

Any other ideea?

Have you used netstat -an |grep '110' to make sure there is something listening on the port?

If not, try manually starting the service and tail -f /var/log/messages to see if any errors show while the service is starting

Hmmm, I guess that doesn't make sense, since it must be listening on the port to be able to reject the name/pwd.....

There was another thread in the forum just recently, that person resolved his email problem by setting the control panel auth method to POP instead of SMTP. Give that a try. I wonder if there is a trend starting....

Names for POP3/IMAP mail accounts: I have selected the second and I cannot change to short names, not allow for some reason.
"Unabel to allow the use of short mail names for POP3/IMAP accounts. There are mail name and passwords pairs matching"

Should I delete all this duplicate emails and redo it??

I think is courier problem, cause is listening but if I stop qmail and mysql still ask for autentification.
Maybe is more info to help me, I'm desperate now.

After doing the Plesk install, did you do any updates which may have affected courier? Up2date, yum, manual rpm?

I don't know if deleting the email accounts would solve anything. If it's a new server, then you could try it.

You could always rpm -e (remove) the courier-imap and psa-courier-imap-add rpm's then re-install them, don't know if that would solve it either. Just some possibilities.

The problem was in this file: /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/pop3d
at:
AUTHMODULES="authpsa"
MAILPASSWD="/var/qmail/users/poppasswd"

Se this lines :-(( Why was like this, do not ask me, I installed fresslhy:
#AUTHMODULES="authpsa"
#MAILPASSWD="/var/qmail/users/poppasswd"

Back