• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail maillog rotation

T

tactics

It looks like mailrotation is not working correct on of our servers. The first entry of the /usr/local/psa/log/maillog file is from Nov 28 and the last one of today.

Which services processes this logfile into an maillog.processed file ? How can I check / reconfigure this ?

And secondly: where is the psa maillog logrotation configured ? I can't find anything in /etc/logrotate.d en the /usr/local/psa/etc/logrotate.conf.in says something about rotation on 10M, but the deleted .processed file was over 2.5 GB !

My log rotation appears to have quit after the 7.51 update... Without doing a ton of digging (I went straight to the /etc/logrotate.d/conf as well) any hints where to look to "properly" fix this issue? If nothing else I'll add a stanza to logrotate to handle it manually, but I'm sure plesk will miss whatever parsing it wants to do (which it isn't doing now).

Does anyone from Plesk support even read this forum?

Same problem.... last maillog rotation 12-23-04
My hard drive is getting full, maillog file is more than 2Gbs now.
How can I fix this without breaking Plesk?

please help someone

How to make that rotation work without messing up Plesk....
My hard drive is full now i don' t know what to do

I've just noticed this same problem on my 7.5 system.

Has anyone found a solution?

I have also had this probelm, the maillog has stopped rotating and back in Dec 2004 and I did not notice it until now, becuase the stats were not getting fully updated.

I have renamed the maillog to maillog.probelm and touched a new one. I reran the statistics binary and all is well, except now it doesnt appear that the mail is getting loged to the maillog anymore. I will check on this and see if I can find a solution.

You should be able to simply restart Qmail to get it logging again.. Most daemons will stop writing to the logs if you move 'em, but a restart solves that.

I moved all logs elsewhere, and restarted qmail. The issue seems to have gone away.

I recently upgraded to 7.5.2 also, so I'm not sure if that helped at all.

Strange I restarted both qmail and imap via PLESK and via Console, and it did not start logging again, so I issued a /etc/init.d/psa stopall/startall and it still did not start logging. At last I rebooted and it has returned to normal now. Whew.:D

Actually, you know what... My last log rotate was back in December of 2004 and my maillog.processed file is over 14GB's now.

Any idea what I should do? Is it safe to delete the maillog.processed file? Why is it not rotating anyone have any idea's?

~Matt

Since I deleted the old maillog everything has gone back to working normal. There is more then likely some kind of strange error code in the maillog that cannot be processed properly and so it causes the maillog not to be rotated.

I think it is safe to remove the log, infact if it is 14GB you really got no choice.

Since, then I have upgraded to 7.5.2 and the mail log appears to be rotating again properly, but I am keeping a closer eye on it this time incase it happens again.

The only ramification I can foresee is that customers since DEC 2004 would have gotten away with a bit of free bandwidth through mailings that were not calculated into the statistics.

Thanks for your opinion. I've deleted the maillog.processed file and we'll see how it goes. How often is it supposed to rotate anyways?

~Matt

It appears as though it should be rotating every week or what ever you have set in your /etc/logrotate.conf

# rotate log files
weekly

So after a week or so have people actualy noticed the files being reotated?

And Traged1 to get the logging going again you probably just needed to restart syslog.

Back