• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail-scanner broke qmail

K

koolnyze

Hello,

I have plesk 9.0 on centos 5.2. I have installed qmail-scanner over it and it broke the qmail. The error in the logs was

Jan 21 12:09:52 vps qmail-queue-handlers[15999]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted
Jan 21 12:09:52 vps X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [] Unable to open pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) -
Jan 21 12:09:52 vps X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek

I managed to fix the outgoing emails by changing permission but the incoming emails are still not working. I can't connect to localhost on port 25 even from the server.

[root@vps bin]# telnet 127.0.0.1 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

I have already forced re-install of plesk-qmail but it won't fix the problem.

Please suggest.

Hi,

I notice that I can send emails through webmail only which uses IMAP. However the problem still remains unsolved. Qmail SMTP is not working. Here is some info which might help linux guru to suggest a solution.

[root@vps qscan]# ps -ef | grep qmail
qmails 1890 1 0 Jan23 pts/0 00:00:00 qmail-send
qmaill 1892 1890 0 Jan23 pts/0 00:00:00 splogger qmail
root 1894 1890 0 Jan23 pts/0 00:00:00 qmail-lspawn | /usr/bin/deliverquota ./Maildir
qmailr 1895 1890 0 Jan23 pts/0 00:00:00 qmail-rspawn
qmailq 1896 1890 0 Jan23 pts/0 00:00:00 qmail-clean
root 11867 7560 0 10:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep qmail

The netstat for port 25 does not return anything.
[root@vps qscan]# netstat -na | grep :25

I finally managed to fix it.

I upgraded to plesk 9.0.1 and copied the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa from another server. Changed the permission of files in /var/qmail/bin as below and it fixed the qmail scanner.

-r-x--s--x 1 mhandlers-user popuser 4703 Feb 2 14:34 qmail-queue
-r-s--x--x 1 qmailq qmail 19832 Jan 27 18:23 qmail-queue.moved
-rwsr-xr-x 1 qmailq qmail 48772 Jan 27 18:32 qmail-queue.orig
-r-x--s--x 1 mhandlers-user popuser 48244 Jan 27 18:32 qmail-remote
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root qmail 49720 Jan 27 18:23 qmail-remote.moved
-r-------- 1 mhandlers-user qmail 48180 Jan 23 13:48 qmail-remote.plesk

You're talking about AtomicRocketTurtle.com's qmail-scanner, right?

If so, wow. We have an open thread over there and none of us have figured this one out. I'm forwarding this URL to Scott =)

What is the current status on this issue? I have been using Art's qmail-scanner for years and I need to find out how to get it running again.

I tried the above fix and it still returned the same errors.

Additionally, I don't seem to see a file/dir called qmail-remote.plesk

Anyone have any firther information on this? or where to find the thread at atomic?

The file qmail-remote.plesk was visible to me only after I upgraded to plesk 9.0.1

qmail-remote.plesk was visible only after I upgraded to plesk 9.0.1

qmail-remote.plesk was visible only after I upgraded to plesk 9.0.1

I am running 9.0.1 and do not see qmail-remote.plesk after searching my entire system. Initially, everything was working except, after a domain would backup qmail was not restarted for that domain. Plesk support logged in to check the problem and by checking their history I find, rpm -Uvh --force psa-qmail-1.03-cos5.build90090127.18.i586.rpm

Email is dead, incoming and outgoing with these errors in the maillog,

cannot open /var/spool/qscan/qmail-scanner-queue-version.txt - did you initialise the system by running "qmail-scanner-queue.pl -z"? - Permission denied

I would be happy just to remove qmail-scanner and get things working again before trying to reinstall... any ideas?

Thanks,

Previous messages...

Apparently my posts in here are moderated now.... that's new... I want to say that when I finally got the permissions set as outlined in the previous post, (the little 's' UID bit was throwing me off) My qmail WITH Art's qmail-scanner is working like a charm..... (knock on wood I need to give it a few more days, but no more pipe errors!)

Going through several README's and HOWTO's and they seem to point to a /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
saying I should remove this line:
QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl" export QMAILQUEUE

qmail-smtpd is an executable on my system... How can I disable qmail-scanner?

btw: I did rpm -e the qmail-scanner and clamav, clamd trying to disable this.

Last edited:
Ok, had to completely remove qmail-scanner and clamav then reinstall Qmail and finally get things running again.. All this while I was sending support requests, one after another after another... Oh and after I had everything running I received a response...

For the record, I still dont support Plesk 9 with qmail-scanner. Its awesome that you all are working it out on your own though

Well here's an update.....

Everything appears to be working well as far as the mail is concerned, however a new problem has arisen.

My email pipe for my ticket system doesn't work anymore. I'm pretty sure it is a permissions problem and am trying various things out.

Update.....

Well it might have been a permission issue, but it would have helped if I had put in the correct path....lol I left out httpdocs!

All is working fine now.

Last edited:
Im trying to work out the update for this right now, kind of a tricky one since youve got a different user architecture between 8 and 9. Thanks for documenting what you have so far, it really saved me a lot of time!

Hello, I also tried to install qmail-scanner... Bad idea...
- yum remove qmail-scanner didn't help
- I also tried to install postfix via autoinstaller, and then switch back to qmail (via plesk autoinstaller)
- it still doesn't work
What should I do just to get back qmail working?
Thanks for the help.

Was that using the 2.02 version from [atomic], or the 2.05 version from [atomic-testing]? I just did 2.05 the other week, and its the only one with support for Plesk 9.

I had lots of similar messages to the original poster of this thread when sending mail to one particular email address.

Jan 21 12:09:52 vps qmail-queue-handlers[15999]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted
Jan 21 12:09:52 vps X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [] Unable to open pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) -
Jan 21 12:09:52 vps X-Qmail-Scanner-2.02st: [] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [255] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek

I managed to work out that there were still entries in /usr/local/psa/handlers/before-queue/recipient which pointed to Dr Web (phtooie!). I had removed Dr Web but it clearly hadn't cleaned up after itself.

Not sure if this helps but it might be worth checking that there aren't any dodgy hooks or handlers at play.

Back