• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail SMTP crashes with "Permission Denied"

T

Teej

Fedora Core 5 / Plesk 8.1.0
When attempting to deliver mail to qmail it fails with:
Code:
Connected to mail.domain.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 domain.net ESMTP
EHLO test.net
250-domain.net
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
mail from: [email][email protected][/email]
250 ok
rcpt to: [email][email protected][/email]
421 fopen('users/assign') failed (#5.7.10) Permission denied
Connection closed by foreign host.

After a lot of investigation I found that the file permissions for /var/qmail/users/assign were set to:
Code:
-rw------- 1 root qmail 2772 Apr 22 10:38 assign
Changing them to allow group and all read access fixed the issue:
Code:
$ chmod 644 assign
$ ls -l assign
-rw-r--r-- 1 root qmail 2772 Apr 22 10:38 assign
But any time I run the Plesk control panel Mail Add New Mail Name or Add New Mail Alias the permissions are reset and the fault returns.

Is there a fix for this?

421 fopen('users/assign')

Having the same issue. Anyone have a fix. Did a qmail repair/reset permissions with spam. Problem still exists.

Only a few domains are having issues with this others are sending and receiving fine. I even disabled mail for the problem domains and re-enabled mail, but still not working, deleted email address and re-added. Even tried changing the permission of the file "assign" to 644, but still no luck.

Receiving the error when trying to send mail to the domains: 421 fopen('users/assign') failed (#5.7.10) Permission denied

Also checkdns.net shows the error when doing the mail server test.

My permission says the same exact as the first poster.

Code:
-rw------- 1 root qmail 2772 Apr 22 10:38 assign

Looked at the assign file, but didn't see anything odd. As I mentioned only a few domains are having the users/assign permissions denied problem.

Can someone please advise.

Hello,

Try to upgrade Plesk to 8.2 or 8.3 this should solve it.

/users/assign permisson denied

Sends fine when the permission is changed, but once an email address is added the permission resets itself. Anybody?

Back