• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Re-synchronize with plesk migrator - what happens exactly ?

MiTo

Basic Pleskian
Hi Mates

I was moving my forum to another server with plesk migration tool. Did close it on the source-server, copied it, testet and opened on the target server and then changed the DNS....so far so good....worked fine.

But i have some super-smart mods with partial admin rights who could log on to the forum on the source server due to delays with DNS replication. And of couse they ignored the msg that the forum is closed and posted a lot which is of course now not available on the target server.

I didn't close the migration yet on the target server so my question is: Can i re-synchronize to get those posts to the target server or will this overwrite the new posts at the new server ?

Thx for your help

Hi MiTo,

even that your issue/problem is absolutely not related to Plesk. it is "best practice" to deny forum actions for ALL admins/super-mods/mods/users during DNS - changes to avoid described issues/problems.

Can i re-synchronize to get those posts to the target server or will this overwrite the new posts at the new server ?
It will, because your forum database will be re-created in a migration process, based on the source server and there is no kind of "rsync", which compairs existent database entries on your target server with the ones from the source server - which would as well conflict, because each post - ID for example can only be existent ONE time and each ID will be created +1 in your forum database. So while the ID XXX1 has been created on the target server, the very same ID - number has been used on the source server for a complete different post. ;)

The migration of mail - accounts is independent to database migrations.

Yes sure, that's why i ask. If i press after migration to resynchronize, i get 4 options. If i now chose to only resync. the emails again, will they just synchronize or will be the newer mails on the target overwritten too ? I guess it is quite important to know what the migration tool is exactly doing and how, as there will be always a gap after changing DNS where some people and some mails still get routet to the old IP...

Btw. thx for your always quick response ! :)

Hi MiTo,

eMails have uniqe IDs, not to be compaired to database table - entries using "latest_unique-ID +1" ( => AUTO_INCREMENT ). ;)
I'm not sure about the amount of numbers+letter combination, so I can't do the maths here for you, but it is very, very, very, veeeeeeery rare, that a new eMail would get the very same ID again. :p

so I can't do the maths here for you

No need...i just wanted to know if the migration tool is really doing a synch and not just delete and rewrite the mailbox at the target...i understand your answer is yes....
Thx a lot again.

Back