• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue redirect subdomain to different internal IP address

ScottAMains

New Pleskian
Hi folks.
I'm in the process of tidying up my environment at the moment as I was having some issues with nginx proxy manager and plesk not being able to automatically renew SSL certificates.

At the moment I am creating subdomains for some of the various internal services I have running on an instance of docker in one of my VM's.

For the subdomain I have instructed the hosting type to be "forwarding", and "frame forwarding" on the forwarding type. The address I have specified as one of my internal IP addresses e.g. 10.0.4.101:+port number

I am reaching a problem though where while I can manually type the internal IP and port and reach the service, in plesk it is not letting me reach the service and it's not reachable outside of my home network.
Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

What do the logs say?
nginx should log something that actually shows what's happening there.
How are you able to reach that internal IP though? Are you in the same network / using a VPN?

from inside my network I can reach my services with no problem, same with VPN'ing in as well. I'm not able to see anything on the access logs both with plesk or the external nginx

Attachments

• screenshot_1121.jpg
    screenshot_1121.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 23
Argh! I understand now ...
Frame forwarding means that plesk just creates a page that contains nothing but a frame which is assigned to the URL you entered.
So it's something like <frame src=https://10.0.4.101:443/>. It is not nginx forwarding using proxy_pass to the given URL!
It should be obvious why this frame does not work outside of the private network.

is same coversation, to assign domain or subdomain to ip/port , actually i've installed something on ip:5000 i.e at root directory, I want this to give a domain. name, with DNS.

So what is the best way in which to allow a subdomain to point to a service hosted on another VM within my network?

first, if I'm not wrong, as you've written that forwarding ..., you could try to port forwarding so your local IP will be available on the internet.

first, if I'm not wrong, as you've written that forwarding ..., you could try to port forwarding so your local IP will be available on the internet.
Ah ok. So with my router I've configured all inbound requests to head towards my plesk VM. I've opened up another port to the VM where my service is located. I still can't seem to get the subdomain to go to the external service.

View the page source. Is the content with the private IP still cached?
You did change the forwarding to the public IP, right?

Back