• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Redis activation/installation problems - Plesk Onyx

twelvell

New Pleskian
Hello guys,

I am having problems setting the Redis for a domain. I have a fresh Onyx install and everything is working well but I cannot activate the redis cache. I looked into PHP Settings and redis extension seems to be active for the domain which use the 7.0.16 version.

fiiJcrh.png

Then I ran the test with the redis.php test file from this thread - https://talk.plesk.com/threads/redis-module-for-php-7-0-1-and-7-0-2.336648/

The test retrieved - 'Redis server went away. Issues with the Redis key/value store occurred'

After that I decided to test redis in the server console and it turned out that there is no redis server to test. I typed the command redis-cli ping from here - https://redis.io/topics/quickstart
The result was -bash: redis: command not found

Then I tried to install the redis, I followed these steps:

wget http://download.redis.io/redis-stable.tar.gz
tar xvzf redis-stable.tar.gz
cd redis-stable
make

When entering the make lead me to a result -bash: make: command not found

I am sure that I have done something really wrong here. Can anyone please guide me to the right direction or point out a link with tutorial for this process? The OS version is Debian 8.7

Regards

Hi twelvell,

pls. note, that if you desire to COMPILE software on your server, you have to meet some general requirements:

"gcc-c++" "pcre-devel" / "libpcre3"+"libpcre3-dev" "zlib-devel" / "zlib1g-dev" "make" "unzip" "Development Tools" "build-essential"

On CentOS/RHEL - based - systems, you could use the example - command:
Code:
yum group install "Development Tools"

or

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
or/and
Code:
yum install gcc-c++ pcre-devel zlib-devel make unzip

On Debian/Ubuntu - based systems, you would use the example - command:
Code:
aptitude install build-essential zlib1g-dev libpcre3 libpcre3-dev unzip

Thanks @UFHH01 ,

I have not activated the Compiler and Development tools, right? And to activate I need to run a commands like these (source):

Code:
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install build-essential

Regards

Yes, install Compiler and Development tools and then:

# wget http://download.redis.io/redis-stable.tar.gz
# tar xvzf redis-stable.tar.gz
# cd redis-stable
# make
# make install

Run compiled redis-server:

# redis-server &

Check that it is up and running:

# lsof -i tcp:6379
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
redis-ser 27433 root 4u IPv6 223599858 0t0 TCP *:6379 (LISTEN)
redis-ser 27433 root 5u IPv4 223599859 0t0 TCP *:6379 (LISTEN)

# redis-cli ping
PONG

Hi @IgorG ,
I followed your tutorial and everything worked fine, but in the end by checking I got this result.

Code:
root@server:~/redis-stable# redis-server &
[1] 6928
root@server:~/redis-stable# 6928:C 16 Sep 12:49:19.351 # oO0OoO0OoO0Oo Redis is starting oO0OoO0OoO0Oo
6928:C 16 Sep 12:49:19.351 # Redis version=4.0.1, bits=64, commit=00000000, modified=0, pid=6928, just started
6928:C 16 Sep 12:49:19.351 # Warning: no config file specified, using the default config. In order to specify a config file use redis-server /path/to/redis.conf
6928:M 16 Sep 12:49:19.353 * Increased maximum number of open files to 10032 (it was originally set to 1024).
6928:M 16 Sep 12:49:19.354 # Creating Server TCP listening socket *:6379: bind: Address already in use
^C
[1]+  Exit 1                  redis-server
root@server:~/redis-stable# lsof -i tcp:6379
COMMAND    PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
redis-ser 1676 redis    4u  IPv4  18320      0t0  TCP localhost.localdomain:6379 (LISTEN)
root@server:~/redis-stable#
root@server:~/redis-stable# redis-cli ping
PONG

Can you please help me.
From my view perhaps there is a problem with the port. I wondered also about "localhost.localdomain"
I use Ubuntu 16 and 1and1. Some paths are always different.
If there is a problem. How can I solve it please.

Lots of greets

Hi Dukemaster,

Warning: no config file specified, using the default config. In order to specify a config file use redis-server /path/to/redis.conf
To define another binding as to "localhost" ( 127.0.0.1 ), you have to change the default settings at your "redis.conf".

localhost.localdomain
The output reflects your settings at "/etc/hosts".

Due to the fact that you see:
Creating Server TCP listening socket *:6379: bind: Address already in use
and
root@server:~/redis-stable# redis-cli ping PONG
... I assume, that you already installed "redis-server" from the vendor with apt-get/aptitude?

Why did you try to install another ( own compiled ) "redis-server" - version?
Why do you want to run another instance?

I assume, that you already installed "redis-server" from the vendor with apt-get/aptitude?
Hi @UFHH01 thanks for answering. Yes. I'm sorry to forgot to mention this. I did exactly what you assumed. Today I simply installed redis by apt. I didn't found how to go on afterwards. For the reason that I'm not familiar with redis or memcached and I had to try another way. The normal PHP library/extension for 7.0 and 7.1 I already installeyd two months ago.
Can You please help me to fix it, to have correct cache server?
Don't know if this is important, but I use a compiled nginx by your pagespeed tutorial and only nginx without apache actually for all websites.
Want to use it for ngx_pagespeed and also community software (websites)

Lots of Greets

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

as THIS thread has been RESOLVED already, pls. consider to open your very own thread with all needed informations about your steps and system environment to investigate ( possible ) issues/errors/problems. ;)

Back