• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Registering a Domain

W

willzyba@

Hi,

I seem to find myself going in circles, with Plesk.

I've got my brand new dedicated server and I'm trying to set up some domains on it. Now I don't want to break any existing sites, so I'm looking to set up test sites for now.

There are two problems. When you read the plesk manual. Page 91 of: http://download1.sw-soft.com/Plesk/Plesk7/Doc/pdf/plesk-7-admins-manual.pdf

tell you "You must officially register a domain and Internet address before you create it in Plesk. You can do this using the Register option available within Plesk or ....."

However Page 93, point 4 tell you: "If you enter a domain name that already exists, Plesk will ask you to change it....."

I'm sorry for being dump, but isn't this a paradox. If I enter a domain I do have registered it keep hassling me to change it, yet if I don't, then bugger all happens and I can access the site.

My service provides: AMENWORLD are useless - I'll be moving to someone else. But in the mean time can anyone else help?

Thanks
Will.

I've got my brand new dedicated server and I'm trying to set up some domains on it. Now I don't want to break any existing sites, so I'm looking to set up test sites for now.
Setting up a 'test' site, you can ignore the warning message about fixing the site's DNS. What is happening is that Plesk tries to do a DNS lookup on the domain name you enter.

Once you create the 'test' domain(s), to be able to easily browse to the domain(s) you should set your workstation to use the Plesk server as the Primary Nameserver. That way the Plesk server will be queried first when Windows does a name-to-IP lookup. This is better than using the 'Preview' function of Plesk.

If you are trying to setup a domain name which actually exists on a different server/IP, then you can still do the same, ignore the warning message, use the Plesk server as the Primary DNS for your workstation, be able to test/edit/modify that site without breaking the 'live' site. Once you have everything setup, then go to the domain registrar for that domain, change the nameserver(s) to point to the Plesk server. Once these changes have propagated to the other worldwide top level nameservers, the domain will then be pointed to your Plesk server.

Back