• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Renaming a Plesk domain: which impact on installed applications?

Jean-Luc GARNIER

Basic Pleskian
Dear Community,

I have installed several application in the default domain created at Plesk installation (basically using the server name). Now I'd like to "move some" into production mode and need to rename the default domain: if I do so, what is the impact on the installed applications? Will they still work as usual? Do I need to manually change some settings? Update their database?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Actually, renaming domain is safe enough procedure but as you know, there is nothing ideal in the world. I think that some applications may require changes in their configuration files if hostname or database name is hardcoded there. This can be learned only by experiment, I think.
In addition to domain renaming, I would advise you to pay attention to the feature "Website Copying" - Working with a Staging Site
Your current site may be considered as staging site which could be synced to production site with the actual name.

Thanks IgorG!

Some bits of context:
- First of all, I'm NOT a sysadmin and learn everything in this area the hard way! :)

- We've contracted with a new hosting service, using a virtual private server which is equipped with Plesk. Let's says the default domain is random.host.net
- I've installed in this domain: my wordpress website, ownCloud, a wiki and tinkered with the tools until they're properly configured.
- We then triggered a domain name migration from our previous hosting service to the new one.
- I didn't want to take any chance of losing the current installation so I created a new domain with Plesk: mydomain.com.
- Then I discovered that the DNS area was pointing at mydomain.com and not random.host.net... :-( I know: this is quite normal, but did not anticipate it really well... ;-)
- Actually, I'm not worried by the web site which has been completely migrated by reinstalling WP + a migration plugin in mydomain.com and works pretty well!
- However, I don't really know how ownCloud and the wiki can be migrated to mydomain.com too... I'm not aware of any plugin that would perform the same tasks than the WP plugin...

Therefore, I'm wondering about renaming random.host.net into dev.mydomain.com, keeping it as a staging domain. However:
- Will Plesk accept to rename the domain with this name (looks like a sub-domain of an existing domain)?
- How will ownCloud and the wiki behave after the renaming?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Will Plesk accept to rename the domain with this name (looks like a sub-domain of an existing domain)?
Yes, it will.
How will ownCloud and the wiki behave after the renaming?
Actually, I don't know, because of no experience with these apps. But I think it will be ok. In any case, you can always correct configs of these apps manually with new hostname.

Hello,

You can create new domain in Plesk and then import site into it: Website Migration. If your site based on WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal, PrestaShop or Magento, it will be adjusted to new environment automatically.

Thanks IgorG and Aleksey!

@IgorG: I'll give it a try and will let you know!
@Aleksey: the issue is not with the website, which has already been moved to the new domain, but with other tools (ownCloud, Tikiwiki) which have been installed and setup in the default domain... Still digging their documentation to find a friendly way to move them...

Thanks again!

Hi all,

I finally installed a fresh instance of ownCloud into the new subdomain, as a new version was available... This did the trick without needing to rename the current Plesk domain. I have a new issue however and will open a new thread for it...

Thanks to all for your help!

Back