• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Required storage for multi volume scheduled FTP backup

Nils_Ringersma

New Pleskian
Dear all,

My Centos server running Plesk12 is running scheduled backups every sunday 3AM.
The backup is configured so that it's created as a multivolume backup with a volume size of 2047MB.

The backup is placed on my Personal FTP repo (another plesk12 server mounted with big storage).
The backup content is configured to backup server config and content (all).

The problem I have is when the backup is running I can see that it creates the volumes and stores it locally. After it send all the volumes the the external FTP repo it will delete the local (tmp) data. See my attached screenshot for storage health during backup.

Schermafdruk%202015-04-08%2013.17.18.png

Is this behaviour normal? Correct me if i'm wrong but this way we can never run a backup to an external FTP repo when our server passed 50% storage. Is it not normal to:

- Create a volume
- Send it to FTP repo
- Delete volume locally
- Repeat until done

Please let me know as I find simmilar threads but no answers/solutions.

Thanks in advance,

I would also like to know this.

Nils, how do you restore individual accounts from your FTP backups?

I would also like to know this.

Nils, how do you restore individual accounts from your FTP backups?

This can be done by using 'selected-objects'. However this can only be used from plesk 12.x on. Also, i used the domain as hostname for the FTP-repo which made it impossible to restore selected objects. After investigation by Parallels it was considered a bug, hotfix is to use IP instead of domain name, this will be fixed in upcoming patches.

It still leaves the main questions, why are ALL volumes being stored locally before sending to the ftp repo instead of , create volume --> Send to FTP --> delete volume --> repeat until done

I wounder if Plesk team would like to answer this as I'm interested as well.

It makes no sense on the volumes if the ftp upload is made after all are created. That forces to always have up to double the amount of space needed... On SSD based servers that increaseses too much the costs and forces to find alternatives.

Dear all,

My Centos server running Plesk12 is running scheduled backups every sunday 3AM.
The backup is configured so that it's created as a multivolume backup with a volume size of 2047MB.

The backup is placed on my Personal FTP repo (another plesk12 server mounted with big storage).
The backup content is configured to backup server config and content (all).

The problem I have is when the backup is running I can see that it creates the volumes and stores it locally. After it send all the volumes the the external FTP repo it will delete the local (tmp) data. See my attached screenshot for storage health during backup.

Schermafdruk%202015-04-08%2013.17.18.png

Is this behaviour normal? Correct me if i'm wrong but this way we can never run a backup to an external FTP repo when our server passed 50% storage. Is it not normal to:

- Create a volume
- Send it to FTP repo
- Delete volume locally
- Repeat until done

Please let me know as I find simmilar threads but no answers/solutions.

Thanks in advance,

I'd really like an answer to this question as well. For my very large server I cannot now backup since I haven't got double the disk space, and increasing it is impossible (due to host). Is there any way to get around this?

I have the same problem.

I can't complete a full backup to FTP even though I have a significant amount of free space left.

It seems a possible workaround would be to schedule a separate backup task on a per-subscription basis (assuming none of the subscriptions size is greater than the free space left), and stagger the timings so they don't occur at the same time, but this is far from ideal and would be a nightmare to manage.

Are there any other suggestions for how to backup externally?

Back