• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Restart Server doesn't work after update 18.0.33

DieterWerner

Regular Pleskian
CentOS 7
MySQL 5.5.68

I did the Plesk update 18.0.33 and it's not possible to restart the server now.

Edit:
Restart via ssh seems to work
service sw-engine restart && service sw-cp-server restart
Restarting sw-engine (via systemctl): [ OK ]
Restarting sw-cp-server (via systemctl): [ OK ]

Last edited:
Try systemctl restart mariadb.

Likely your server actually isn't running MySQL but rather MariaDB.

Now 'Restart Server' leads into:
DB query failed: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory
Never happened to us so far (fortunately !!) but there are several threads on the forum which include the same error plus these two Plesk articles as well:

I did a restore to Plesk Version 18.0.32 Update #2
and everything works fine now.
I was happy too early...
Today, a new installation of Version 18.0.33 causes the the same error as it did before.
I tried all of the hints for resolution - but couldn't get a positive result
Now I run the restore of 18.0.32 Update #2 again and will never more touch update 18.0.33 :(

I was happy too early...
Today, a new installation of Version 18.0.33 causes the the same error as it did before.
Now I run the restore of 18.0.32 Update #2 again and will never more touch update 18.0.33 :(
Yepp - it works ...
the restore was successful again and I'm happy again :D

I was happy too early...
Hmmmmmmm o_O There are many, many different articles / posts / threads that include this line in the error. It looks like you've been pretty unlucky so far, to not have found one (yet) that was identical to your own circumstances / server / setup etc. Just running a search of all the KB articles for example provides a lot of matches and in most of these, the cause is already present in the server / setup before the Plesk upgrade. The upgrade process becomes the revealing factor of the cause, which can then be investigated / changed etc before running the upgrade process again. The downside is... There's a lot of reading to do :oops:
You're back to an fully operational position now and one from which, you can take any number of more up-to-date server snapshots / backups etc in readiness. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.33 itself, as lots of users (including us) have made the upgrade successfully, including users that are running CentOS 7 like you are. Having said that, you've posted that you're also running MySQL 5.5.68 but is this actually MariaDB 5.5.68? That release was EOL last May: MariaDB 5.5.68 Release Notes and the last MySQL release appears to actually have been MySQL 5.5.62 way back in 2018 with EOL back in December 2018 too. Plesk do claim HERE that Obsidian does still support both versions, but (and it's only a guess here...) the database release might be the starting point to identify the issue after upgrading to Obsidian 18.0.33? If you can't find the cause yourself, could you not just raise a support ticket instead?

OK - you wrote: There's a lot of reading to do
but I think that was in the meaning of: There's a lot of understanding to do ;)
Be sure, I'm not too lazy to read and I understand what I read very well (although my written English is really not good).

Edit:
raising a ticket is not possible because I'm a custemer of the german company Strato and they deny support for Plesk although they are a trusted partner of plesk.

Last edited:
OK - you wrote: There's a lot of reading to do
but I think that was in the meaning of: There's a lot of understanding to do ;)
Be sure, I'm not too lazy to read and I understand what I read very well (although my written English is really not good).

Edit:
raising a ticket is not possible because I'm a custemer of the german company Strato and they deny support for Plesk although they are a trusted partner of plesk.
Yep, there is a lot of reading / understanding if you are going to go through all of that lot on your own and... it is all in English unfortunatley (in your case), but your written and commmand of English is just fine and 1,000,000% bettter than our knowledge of German :D as a comparison.

The support ticket IS very easily possible. It doesn't matter that Strato is a Plesk Partner. You may have misread that page? Here's the relevant lines from it:
"...However, if you would like to get support directly from Plesk, you may purchase the Plesk support subscription..."
Followed by:
"...How can I purchase it?"
And then what people sometimes don't see / don't read properly:
"...Subscription has a free trial period for 1 month. If you order Plesk support subscription for a license for the first time, then you will be charged $0 for the first month and $10 for each next month..."
IONOS is our Cloud Server provider & they are a Plesk Partner. We took the above subscription just to cut out the middleman / delays etc. It's all 100% ok. Finally, Strato can't "deny" you independent verbal and/or written support on anything from anybody, they are not the Staatssicherheitsdienst - SSD - Stasi :cool: They might... forbid indpependent, direct root access to your server as part of your contract, you would have to check, but how would they police & manage that (and why would they want to) anyway, if you alreay have that access level yourself? Plesk can assist via direct root access, as part of their ticket support process via their ssh extention: Support SSH Access if/when it is needed, which it may not be. You're both still not sure (at this stage) what's required to solve this.

Yes - I use a root server and so I have the direct access and I will find a solution of the problem - I'm sure.
To use the plesk support ($10 per month) is too expensive because the server costs just 15 Euro per month (and the Plesk Web Pro Edition is included) ;)
I don't want to be a cheater by using the support for just one month!

Last edited:
@DieterWerner That's a noble approach, one that historically, will surely only apply to an absolute minority of cases.
Still... Taking the free one month only option that you've mentioned above, will always remain, if, you can't self-solve it any other way.
Once you have of course, it would be great to see the specific cause posted on here; Out of interest, but mainly for other user's benefit.
Good luck meantime!

Last edited:
Next step (after re-installing 18.0.33)
repair all
say:
errors occured while performing the following actions: plesk packages permissions.

Now 'Restart Server' leads into:
DB query failed: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory
That means plesk could not open the sql server socket, so the restart probably failed. What does "service mariadb status" say?
btw, that only restarts the services, to restart the server, you would use "shutdown -r now" ...

For reasonably current versions of mariadb, the systemd unit file contains
Bash:
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Alias=mysql.service
Alias=mysqld.service
which allows sysctl/service to use mysql[d] as unit name too.

Yes ...
shutdown -r now
is the Linux command and I think the plesk developers know that too.
mariadb status is ok.

Back