• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restore a plesk backup on new server

Dicko76

New Pleskian
Hi

I recently opened a new plesk account on another server and need to restore a backup from a previous server. Both plesk 11.5.

How can I do this ?

I don't have ssh or other access.

Can I just copy the guid ID off the new server and overwrite the extracted backup files?

Only issue I have with that is that a can't redo the XML file required for uploading backups to restore

Thanks

Martyn

I was also wonder about this.

With both servers being Linux / CentOS 6.5 / Plesk 11.5
I was thinking that I could use the Backup Manager. Connect to the FTP backup, copy it to the server, then restore all or some of the sites.
I seems that this does not work. Is that true and if not why would it not work or is there away to do it?
What is the best way to restore a backup to a different server?
Thanks for any help.
Brad

Hi Dicko76 and bradz,

you could move the _whole_ dumps folder of plesk to the new server into the dumps folder there. Afterwards you can slect the dump on the new server to restore it.
It worked for me very well.

You can get the paths with
Code:
grep DUMP /etc/psa/psa.conf

Last edited:
Once you have access to the dumps file, what do you tell it to look for?
.... (was about to post a question, but I figured it out)

In our Xen system, we use a separate LVM volume for the backups. I moved that volume over to the new server (equivalent to pulling it from the old physical server and plugging it in to the new one).
It is mounted as '/var/archive/', so I put that value in for the DUMP value in psa.conf. After restarting Plesk, the old dumps show up in the "server repository" tab in the Backup Manager.
From there it is easy, to pick one to restore.

But then I run into a problem: in the Server Repository, I see a bunch of pleskbak_info_1405131047.xml files. I restore one and
it builds the set of clients and domains, but none of the data gets transferred. ????
So I go to a particular domain, and it says, "no hosting". I switch on the hosting, then go to the backups for that site and restore one.
But still no web content gets installed.

Anyone know what it is I'm missing?

[details: source server is Debian6 with Plesk 11.5.30 (currently non-functional); the dest server is Debian7 with Plesk 11.5.30]

Back