• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Reverse DNS setup in Plesk doesn't works !

abc

• abc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • abc

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Sandeep Thakur

Reverse DNS setup in Plesk doesn't works !

I want any Paralells expert to reply me, how I can setup PTR in Plesk 9.0.1 !

If I setup PTR for a domain as :
IP/8 PTR mail.domainname.com

It doesn't works !

What exactly doesn't work? How it can be reproduced? What is the poll here?

I have a VPS server where I use Plesk 9.0 . When I added PTR for an IP it ads to psa.mdb beautifully ! But that PTR never works when you test it from outside worold of this WWW.

We are using 60.80.272.207 as our mailserver host for sandeepthakur.org!

We are getting bounces(NDR) from AOL, Googlle Yahoo and few of other mail server which require Reverse DNS to verify Sender's Host before accepting mail.

I went through my Plesk setting and Have verified PTR =60.80.272.207/8 for this IP set to resolve back to mail.sandeepthakur.org

Still, when domain is tested from command line or any other Reverse DNS tools then this PTR should appear in Reverse DNS and our mail should not get any Bounce(NDR) but unfortunately that deosn't works in plesk.

When I just downloaded psa.mdb and opened it on MS Access, It shows me PTR Entries correctly:

id dns_zone_id type host displayHost val displayVal opt time_stamp
101 2 A mail.sandeepthakur.org. mail.sandeepthakur.org. 60.80.272.207 60.80.272.207 12/19/2009 10:00:59 AM
102 2 PTR 60.80.272.207 60.80.272.207 mail.sandeepthakur.org. mail.sandeepthakur.org. 8 12/19/2009 10:01:43 AM

AND

Look at rDNS query:
Result of Reverse DNS query for 60.80.272.207 at DNS Stuff

IP Information - 60.80.272.207
IP address: 60.80.272.207
Reverse DNS: [No reverse DNS entry per ahdns01.activehost.com.]
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Unknown]
ASN: 30589
ASN Name: ACTIVEHOST-WASH-AVE
IP range connectivity: 2
Registrar (per ASN): ARIN
Country (per IP registrar): US [United States]
Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars]
Country IP Range: 69.89.0.0 to 69.89.255.255
Country fraud profile: Normal
City (per outside source): Schenectady, New York
Country (per outside source): US [United States]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.arin.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 60.80.272.207

How We will MAP rDNS in Plesk then ????????????????????????

Obiously IP and Domain are not correct one !

Thanks

BTW, mail.sandeepthakur.org is resolvable to other IP:

$ host mail.sandeepthakur.org
mail.sandeepthakur.org has address 125.214.67.83

As you can see it is not mentioned 60.80.272.207 and A record incorrect in your database. Are you sure that you have correctly configured your nameserver? And according

$ whois sandeepthakur.org

Name Server:NS1.WEB24.NET.AU
Name Server:NS2.WEB24.NET.AU

Is it your nameservers?

Hi !
Thanks for your reply !

But , If you look at bottom of my Message , I have written domain and IP are not actual one !
I have just given you guys scenario that we struggled !

Why PTR records are inserted automatically if they doesn't works ?

So leave aside IP and domain, Just PTR in PLesk is the issue!

Any DNS records will be added for new created domain according defined in default DNS template records. You can correct this DNS template as you want.

Hi Paralells Expert,

I have samiliar problem, I have problems in sending mails to some mail servers as we were getting the following errors:

a) Reason: 501 5.7.1 <mail>... Sender IP must resolve

b) Remote SMTP Server Returned: 550 No RDNS entry for

C) 451 Resources temporarily not available - Please try again later
[#4.16.5]...........etc

d) The domain of the sender doesn't exist

What should I do,

Thanks

Omar

So, I have a similar problem with the reverse DNS.
and I'm trying to understand.

IP do not resolve any host.

DNS is outside and for us it's better that it not managed in our server.
But in this case how can we make the reverse DNS working?
because this must be set where the IP is used, I suppose....so in the server right?

rDNS - entries are done over the nameserver of your provider. Some providers charge the customers for rDNS - entries, some don't.

In most cases, people rent a server and get a static IP with it. Due to the case that you are not describing your case, I can only assume that this is as well YOUR case.

we have 2 static IP in 1 server this is the case

So IP 1 for ww1
IP2 for ww2

So hostname for IP1 is ok
hostname for IP2 is not "readable" now because we don't find the way to set the rDNS

Plesk seems to set the hostname for the first IP, but not for the second.

Last edited:
... and these two static IPs are .... from? I suppose the SAME provider, where you rented the server? In this case, the rDNS - entries are still done over the nameserver from your provider, in order to reverse the IP to a certain domain.

To make it even more easier for you, please use for example the site: https://www.dnswatch.info/ and put in the desired IP and choose the typ "NS". You will get the desired nameservers, where you will have to edit/modify the desired entries.

the nameserver is not the Server provider but an external service like EURODNS
so my question is, it's possible to set rDNS from an external DNS? :)

Hi femotvaff,

I know I repeat myself, when I'm writing: The rDNS - entry has to be made on the nameserver of the provider. It is not possible to change IP based rDNS - entries on your rented server itself. Even if you would create a PTR entry over your own nameserver, this doesn't result to a propper reverse to your rented IP.

Let's assume you rent a server at BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG, they might assign a static IP ( or more ) to your rented server, for example:

IP: 999.999.999.999
Domain: server999-femotvaff.BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG

The IP 999.999.999.999 comes over the IP-Pool assigned to BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG and so BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG has their own nameservers, where they create rDNS - entries for their customers as stated in my example.
Let's assume further more, that with your root - server, you have as well 1 domain included from BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG ( in this example it is : femotvaff-buisiness.org ), but you didn't ask your provider to reverse your server IP to your including domain and so the reverse entry still points to server999-femotvaff.BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG. "Nice" provider grant access to their nameservers, where you might modify the reverse entry from server999-femotvaff.BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG to your included domain femotvaff-buisiness.org, but deny entries from external domain - provider ( in this example EURODNS ) and only let the customer change reverse DNS entries to domains, which the customer got over BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG, or charge the customer for external domain entries on a monthly basis.
You certainly may assign as many domains as you would like to over EURODNS to your server - IP, but the reverse DNS entry for a IP from the IP-Pool of BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG, will still be done over the nameservers of BEST-ROOT-SERVER-OF-THE-WORLD-AND-AS-WELL-ON-THE-NET.ORG.

wow thank you very much.
Now after 2 days I undestood.

What create some confusion is that Plesk automatically creates A PTR entry in DNS zone, for all subscriptions so if you have 2 domain (1 for subscription) with a dedicated IP each one, you have for both a PTR entry in each DNS zone, generated from Plesk.
But why are these entry generated if they have no sense? : /

Thank you very much.

Well, Plesk doesn't know, which IP-Pool you use, or if you even have your very own IP-Pool, managed by yourself or over a provider. The DNS - templates are for the "general use" and not for a specific configuration. With this standard, Plesk is able to be used as a stand-alone server, in a rented environment, or even at home in your local - network.

Back