• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Roundcube 1.4 released

nothing for now.
it should be simple to implement

Have you ever programmed in such a big system?
But there is an other way to use roundcube 1.4 - simply install it on your webspace with own database.

I made a video a few days ago but its in german, so if thats not the problem, feel free to follow my tutorial:

It is better solution, just replace Plesk one with this one and you will have 1.4 on top of Plesk one.
It can be done properly with update SQL script ect. ect.

So it's the end of january already. Nearly 3 months went by, Roundcube 1.4.2 has been released, a big update for Obsidian has been released with the update of many third-party scripts, yet no word on this. I can imagine a proper update and testing might take some time, however, the Roundcube 1.4 isn't as big as you think. The major design overhaul might be very impressive, under the hood it hasn't changed that much.

So why is there still no update? There is only one thing that comes to mind... it would interfere with their Premium Email product. You want this new great layout? Pay for it... or you are out of luck. "It will be supported." Yes. But I suspect not before the official support for 1.3.X ends. The more they can wait and squeeze money out of the before mentioned product, they will. Mind you this is off course speculation from my side, but I simply don't see why it otherwise takes this long.

Yes, it is an option to install / upgrade to RC 1.4 itself. But to be honest I was expecting a bit more (as in: a officially supported solution). It's where we, the Plesk users, pay them for.

So it's the end of january already. Nearly 3 months went by, Roundcube 1.4.2 has been released, a big update for Obsidian has been released with the update of many third-party scripts, yet no word on this. I can imagine a proper update and testing might take some time, however, the Roundcube 1.4 isn't as big as you think. The major design overhaul might be very impressive, under the hood it hasn't changed that much.

So why is there still no update? There is only one thing that comes to mind... it would interfere with their Premium Email product. You want this new great layout? Pay for it... or you are out of luck. "It will be supported." Yes. But I suspect not before the official support for 1.3.X ends. The more they can wait and squeeze money out of the before mentioned product, they will. Mind you this is off course speculation from my side, but I simply don't see why it otherwise takes this long.

Yes, it is an option to install / upgrade to RC 1.4 itself. But to be honest I was expecting a bit more (as in: a officially supported solution). It's where we, the Plesk users, pay them for.
You are probably right, thats sad :/

I can't see 1.4 version in the last update 18.0.24... the situation with webmail is becoming unmanageable, in 2020 it is difficult to propose something to customers without a "responsive" layout... ok if Plesk has need to force the users to use their "Premium Email" solution but is necessary to be clear so as to avoid unnecessary waiting (5 months to get an update seems to me really too long).

I can't see 1.4 version in the last update 18.0.24... the situation with webmail is becoming unmanageable, in 2020 it is difficult to propose something to customers without a "responsive" layout... ok if Plesk has need to force the users to use their "Premium Email" solution but is necessary to be clear so as to avoid unnecessary waiting (5 months to get an update seems to me really too long).
this is what happens when there is conflict of interest.

Roundcube has been known for supporting old versions for a very long time. The current LTS version is still 1.2.9 AFAIK. This isn't even the version Plesk currently uses. I suspect 1.3 series will get LTS before 1.4 does, so this might take a very long time. Think multiple years, not month.

'It has a better UI' is a valid point for a user point of view (and for businesses who care about their users), not from a business (money) point of view, like suggested earlier. 'It is no longer supported', however, is a valid reason.

If anyone wants RC 1.4, install it yourself. This will be the only option for a very long time to come. I hope the Plesk team proves me wrong, but I have serious doubts about that.

Back