1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Runaway greylisting processes, cpu usage sky high

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by JamieB, Jan 14, 2011.

1. JamieB

JamieB Guest

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
    Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2.1 RedHat el4 92090422.13 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    Symptoms:
    Entire server slows down to a crawl, as runaway greylisting
    processes (top list shows several "executable" processes) aren't terminated.

Repeated entries like this, with different emails listed...
    root 26542 1.1 0.0 3980 1052 ? R 04:17 3:01 /usr/local/psa/handlers/info/05-grey-G9v07D/executable context xx@xx.xx xx@xx.xx
    Load Average climbed upto almost 390.00
    Unable to reproduce. First time this has happened, not certain what made it behave abnormally.

I have come across http://kb.odin.com/en/6875, but although the symptoms are similar, I don't get any memory error in the logs, so not sure applying the hotfix will address this problem as well.

Possibly related, maillog contains errors like these:
    and
    Does the hotfix apply to my issue and would it help to use mchk and is it safe to use(won't delete mail or accounts?) - http://kb.odin.com/944

Thanks

2. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    Yes, you can safely use it. And you have reported problem for very old 9.2.1 version. Why you don't want update it to latest 9.5.4 version?

3. JamieB

JamieB Guest

Thanks for the reply. If I update Plesk, is it better to do it incrementally upto 9.5.4 or directly to 9.2.1 - 9.5.4?
    And should I still apply hotfix and perform mchk before update?

4. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    You can perform upgrade directly from your version to 9.5.4 and you can run mchk at any time.