• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

safe_mode turned on after update - but where?

Sefu

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm having a major problem with running cronjobs on my server since my update to 8.3. I'd installed an ftp server, and gave one "web user" permissions to modify anything in the contents of the "web_user" folder... since Plesk sets web_user folder permissions to 0750, I created a php script to check periodically for new folders and set their permissions to 0770. Not only did Plesk eliminate my script from the /tmp folder upon updating (without even an indication that anything of the sort was done), I now get a "Warning: chmod(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 0 is not allowed to access..." - but safe mode is off in both the local and root .ini files! Where is this restriction coming in, and where can I set this straight?

Already I had problems setting up an ftp server with Plesk, but this is a bit too much. I am seriously considering moving to a more versatile management platform.

Thank you for a rapid reply.

Hi,

When we saw this we noted some changes in the PHP info. Local Setting for PHP Safe Mode was off, but server setting was on. So we changed this to 'off' in php.ini and restarted apache and all was well. This was the setting before the upgrade!

Good Luck

Thank you - I managed to find the offending php.ini file in the "cli" directory of the apache2 directory... I hadn't thought to look there.

All the same, I think it is hard to manage anything outside of Web hosting and e-mail accounts with Plesk.

Thank you for your help.

Back