• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Save messages in the sent folder.

kriss642

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
Tests importing mail from one mail server to a
the other.

Server Source - Windows Server 2019, MailEnable and Plesk

Target server - Debian 11, Postfix, Dovecot and Plesk

I noticed a problem. After importing an account from one
server to another, outlook saves sent messages in the folder
sent items, while webmail in the sent folder. The sent items folder
doesn't synchronize with the server at all, and you can't see it on webmail either. Outlook
sees both folders. The problem disappears after
reconfiguring mail in outlook.

What could be the reason for saving messages sent in a different folder from
webmail, if after importing mail from one server to another I do not configure
outlook anew?

Sound to me like an issue with the root folder path in the Outlook configuration. As far as I know the best setting is "INBOX" in that field. Maybe this solves the problem?

Sound to me like an issue with the root folder path in the Outlook configuration. As far as I know the best setting is "INBOX" in that field. Maybe this solves the problem?
Thank you, after setting the root folder path, the messages are already saved in the correct folder.

I think that setting the path of the root directory will only partially solve the problem. I have a few more domains to move from a Windows server to a Linux server. Some contain dozens of accounts and I don't want to set the root directory path everywhere.
Is there any way to configure the server on Linux so that when I move the mail, it works as it did on the previous server?

No, sorry, I cannot recommend to create problems on the server to solve a deficiency of Outlook. I suggest to vote for this feature request: Set the root directory to INBOX in mail autodiscover for Outlook
But I doubt this will ever be done, because it's merely an Outlook issue that you are facing. When you let other mail software like Thunderbird auto-configure the mailbox, things normally work from start without any user interaction.

But why does such a situation arise only with an existing outlook account. If I configure the account in outlook anew, everything works correctly.

I think that setting the path of the root directory will only partially solve the problem. I have a few more domains to move from a Windows server to a Linux server. Some contain dozens of accounts and I don't want to set the root directory path everywhere.
Is there any way to configure the server on Linux so that when I move the mail, it works as it did on the previous server?

If I am not mistaken you can tinker with the Dovecot namespace configuration to accomplish this (but I am not sure). If I remember correctly Plesk utilizes a slightly different namespace configuration to be compatible with Courier. I have tinkered with the Dovecot namespace configuration myself in the past, but don't remember what I had done exactly. I think at one point I decided not to pursue any custom Dovecot configuration and just go with the default one from Plesk. Anyway this topic might be of interest to you: Question - [Plesk 17.5.3] Dovecot integration: per-domain INBOX prefix configuration on the same server

Last edited:
After importing an account from one server to another, outlook saves sent messages in the folder sent items, while webmail in the sent folder.
Did you configure Outlook first, or import first?
Outlook misbehaves if the Sent folder doesn't already exist, so I make sure to open a new account with webmail, which will create the special folders, before configuring Outlook.

Did you configure Outlook first, or import first?
Outlook misbehaves if the Sent folder doesn't already exist, so I make sure to open a new account with webmail, which will create the special folders, before configuring Outlook.
I tested two ways.
1. I configured outlook with an account on the old server, and then moved the mail to the new folder. And here there were problems with saving.

2. After moving mail to the new server, I configured outlook. In this case, sent messages save correctly.

Back