1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Second DNS with PowerDNS

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by freaky@, Feb 14, 2008.

1. freaky@

freaky@ Regular Pleskian

In case it helps anyone, for the second DNS server we use PowerDNS. I use this _basic_ script to add the entries to the PowerDNS MySQL database. I assume you can figure out how to configure PowerDNS and MySQL on the other server yourself. It should be connectable from plesk.

Within plesk I use event manager to run it. Like so:

Domain alias created lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domaliascreate
    Domain alias deleted lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domaliasdelete
    Domain alias updated lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domaliasupdate
    Domain created lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domcreate
    Domain deleted lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domdelete
    Domain updated lowest (0) nobody /usr/local/scripts/addSecondDNS.php domupdate

Attached Files:

2. freaky@

freaky@ Regular Pleskian

Forgot to mention the somewhat obvious: configure plesk to allow DNS zone transfers from the PowerDNS server.

3. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

If you setup your Plesk server as a supermaster in PowerDNS there is no need for a script like this. It's all automatic! http://downloads.powerdns.com/documentation/html/slave.html#SUPERMASTER

And if you added, say ns3.example.com, to the zonefile there is no need to explicitly tell Plesk to allow zonetransfers as transfers to servers that are specified in the zonefile are automatically allowed.

4. freaky@

freaky@ Regular Pleskian

Didn't know that, but that's friggin' sweet. Thanks ;)

5. freaky@

freaky@ Regular Pleskian

One q though, how does it get notified if the zone is removed? Does it know it should remove it?