• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Secondary DNS can't transfer zone info - firewall issue?

matthew@

New Pleskian
Just setting up domains on Plesk (FreeBSD) and trying to get a secondary DNS server working, without much luck - can anyone help?

I think it's a firewall issue. Assume: ns.domain1.com is the primary DNS on this server, using IP 1.1.1.2. I'm setting up domain2.com on there on IP 1.1.1.1 and trying to use a secondary DNS for it, using secondary DNS server ns.second.com, 2.2.2.2. I have:

* In Server > DNS > Common ACL, added 2.2.2.2

* In Domains > domain2.com > DNS, added NS records:
domain2.com > NS > ns.domain1.com
domain2.com > NS > ns.second.com

* In Modules > Firewall, added:
Allow outgoing to 2.2.2.2 on 53tcp, 53udp
(The built-in DNS rule allows incoming from all to 53?)

* In /etc/named.conf, uncommented:
query-source address * port 53 (although I'm not sure this was necessary)

I'm pretty sure that my ns.domain1.com is all working fine, 'cos domain2.com is up and running. However, when I try to add it to the secondary DNS service:

* Master DNS: 1.1.1.2
* Domain name: domain2.com

It gives me an error: 'ns.second.com can't read from primary server. hint: check firewall.'

Am I missing something? (Likely) Any insights much appreciated.

Check out ARTs secondary dns feature, it works great and may have some firewall configuration information in the setup as well.

Check out ARTs secondary dns feature, it works great and may have some firewall configuration information in the setup as well.

Hi, thanks for the tip - I'm looking into this, it looks useful. Meantime my problem seems to have resolved itself of its own accord. Don't know why but I'm not complaining!

Back