• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

securing qmail for open relay

ebudihar

New Pleskian
Right now,
I am looking for a way how to secure qmail from open relay and still sending and receiving without someone use my mail server to send any spams emails. What I have in the plesk 8.6 is just server>Mail>Relaying (closed, authorization is required: POP3 or SMTP). When I choose "closed", the mail server is totally closed relay and I cannot send any emails and sometimes I cannot receive emails. But if I choose the other, my email server will be open relay and someone can use it to send spams.

I think you should add a feature how to configure the qmail as a closed relay and I will have no problem in sending and receiving.

The closed relay means your server will only accept messages to local accounts. If you intend to use your server to send mail to the outside world, then you *must* use the 'authorization is required' option. That way only authenticated users can send messages thru it, and it isn't an open relay.

Maybe you should give Plesk's documentation a go, theres some nice hints for an initial setup:
http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.6/Doc/en-US/plesk-8.6-unix-administrators-guide/index.htm

If your problem is spam, you're messing with incorrect settings. Try a search in the other forums and it will render you useful posts on how to harden your server against spam.

Back