• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Security leak?

HansUnland

New Pleskian
Hallo All,

I'm a newbie here and registered because I had a scaring effect in my root-server. It is running Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0.9 under CentOS. Last automatic update was at May, 27th 3:24. At least this time an e-mail from Autoinstaller came in.

Yesterday I did a look into my blog, which is on a .org domain. But I only saw the message "Hier entsteht eine neue Internetpräsenz!". It means that there is a new website under construction.

So I opened my Plesk Panel and found the mentioned .org domain locked (red round marker). The popup-message was "Diese Domain ist gesperrt". First I thought the German authorities had locked it. It is somewhat dangerous in Germany with free speech in a blog. I asked my provider whether there is some locking made by them. But they didn't know.

So I tried to unlock the domain using Plesk. No way. It answered all the time with error messages.

Then I opened a root-session using SSH terminal and unlocked the domain with /usr/local/psa/bin/domain --on {domainname}.org. This worked.

Ok, the website is available again now. A look into the blog-statistics showed me that the last blog access was at May, 28th around 3:00. From this time the website was locked.

I have no idea how this can happen. Is it possible that there is a security leak in the newest version?

Kind regards
Hans

Check the expiry date on your subscription.

Was this server setup about a year ago?
If so, the default expiry date of 1 year had not been changed.

Also; these are questions your hosting provider should look into, not Parallels.

Hallo StéphanS,

Many thanks for your very useful answer.

Check the expiry date on your subscription.

Was this server setup about a year ago?
If so, the default expiry date of 1 year had not been changed.

The server setup was in February 2013. And also there is no expiry. The use of Parallels is part of the contract.

Also; these are questions your hosting provider should look into, not Parallels.

It is a root server, my provider does not access it.

Nevertheless; just before I found my .org domain locked again. I guess there is either a backdoor open or someone read my password.

Kind regards
Hans

Sounds more like an incomplete backup task, with the offline-option enabled, to me.

Very much possible aswell!
But the error message normally clearly states that this is the reason.

OP; can you post the error messages you get when trying to re-enable?

Hallo All,

Yesterday I disabled the suexec-module of Apache. Didn't help. Today morning I found my domain locked again. Ok, there were some suspicious entries in access_log and error_log. Therefore disabling of suexec was just a try.

So I changed all user-passwords in the morning, although this cannot be the leak. I have all passwords in mind and nobody else knows or could guess.

Sounds more like an incomplete backup task, with the offline-option enabled, to me.

Yes, this makes sense. Just now I gave it a look. In fact the offline option was enabled. I disabled this feature now.

Many thanks for your input. Will let you know.

Kind regards
Hans

Here is some further information on the Plesk 9.0 to 9.2.3 phppath vulnerability that came from further investigation. The flaw is in 9.0 to 9.2.3, but can move forward to later versions on Ubuntu and Debian with certain non-typical upgrade paths that do not include sequential updating to 9.5.x. See here for more details: http://kb.parallels.com/116241. Fixes are already issued in corresponding MU articles.

Check your domain status and enable it if it was disabled.
Run /etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily
Check the status again. If domain is disabled, then you have problems with limits. Check overuse policy for this domain, and domain limits.

Hallo once more,

As of today no domain locked anymore. So it was the offline option in connection to hanging backup. Many thanks to BoMbY and All for your help.

Kind Regards
Hans

Back