• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.

FAB

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,

I just spent two days to get Gmail able to connect to my server via SMTP.... and now I'm finding out POP3 is also blocked :mad:

I'm trying to configure Gmail-pop access.

I'm getting: Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.

Any suggestion? What to check? Where to look at?

Thanks,
FAB :)

Make sure that in Gmail you have entered the host name, not the domain name of a subscription, and that you have a working SSL certificate installed for your mail server. Gmail tries to connect through SSL and discards the connection when the certificate does not match the server name given in the POP3 server name field in the GMail POP3 connector. Once you have an SSL certificate in place for your mail server and then use the mail server (host name) as the server name in GMail the connection should work.

Reactions: FAB
Actually, there is already an SSL certificate on this domain.... so it should work? Shouldn't it?

For now I kinda solve my problem by simply forwarding the messages to Gmail... but this solution can only be temporary...

The SSL certificate on the domain is irrelevant. The host's SSL certificate that is used to protect the e-mail service is relevant. If you don't have a certificate set for the host's mail service or if you are trying to connect to the domain name the GMail POP3 connector will fail. It will only connect to the host name when the host mail service has a proper certificate in place that matches the host name.

OK! I see!
Any suggestion for an extra cheap SSL provider? I think the cheapest I found was about $30.... but I'm sure a GURU can beat that ;-)

I have never tried it with a self-signed certificate that matches the host name. Not sure, but maybe it is worth trying. GMail does check the name, but maybe it does not check whether the cert is signed by a trust center.

I think some people here once even promoted using Let's Encrypt for it, and it is possible to do that, but I don't have guide ready. We're using commercial wildcard certificates on our hosts, so I never needed to think about how to do that differently.

Make sure that in Gmail you have entered the host name, not the domain name of a subscription, and that you have a working SSL certificate installed for your mail server. Gmail tries to connect through SSL and discards the connection when the certificate does not match the server name given in the POP3 server name field in the GMail POP3 connector. Once you have an SSL certificate in place for your mail server and then use the mail server (host name) as the server name in GMail the connection should work.

Hummmmmmmm I'm actually not sure that I understood what you suggested.
....."then use the mail server (host name) ".....

Do you mean the url of he server? In my case something like: ns30XXXX.ip-164-132-162.eu ???

I tried mail.ns30XXXX.ip-164-132-162.eu , but Google doesn't even find the machine....

Yes, URL of the server. The Server should be reachable through a domain name. In your case it seems to be ns30XXXX.ip-164-132-162.eu. When you open that URL in a browser, does your server answer on it? In that case it is the correct URL.
This is getting detailed now, more or less situation dependent. I think the message is clear how to enable the Gmail connector, but you will need to figure your host name configuration out by yourself.

Back