• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

setting up name server server with plesk?

R

roberthov

I have in my dns template the following settings

Host---------------Record type-----Value
<domain>.---------------NS---------ns1.<domain>.
<domain>.---------------NS---------ns2.<domain>.
<domain>.---------------A----------<ip>
<domain>.---------------MX (10)----mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24---------------PTR--------<domain>.
ftp.<domain>.-----------CNAME------<domain>.
mail.<domain>.----------A----------<ip>
mssql.<domain>.---------A----------<ip>
mysql.<domain>.---------A----------<ip>
ns1.<domain>.-----------A----------<ip>
ns2.<domain>.-----------A----------1.2.3.178
sitebuilder.<domain>.-----A----------<ip>
webmail.<domain>.-------A----------<ip>
13 DNS records total----------

I created a my own subscription based on the unlimited plan template and in my subscription's control panel i have now the following configuration.

Host--------------------Record type-----Value
1.2.3.4 / 24------------------PTR--------domain.com.
ftp.domain.com.--------------CNAME------domain.com.
domain.com.------------------NS---------ns2.domain.com.
domain.com.------------------NS---------ns1.domain.com.
domain.com.------------------A----------1.2.3.4
domain.com.------------------MX (10)----mail.domain.com.
lists.domain.com.------------CNAME------domain.com.
mail.domain.com.--------------A----------1.2.3.4
mssql.domain.com.------------A----------1.2.3.4
ns1.domain.com.--------------A----------1.2.3.4
ns2.domain.com.--------------A----------2.3.4.5
sitebuilder.domain.com.--------A----------1.2.3.4
webmail.domain.com.----------A----------1.2.3.4
www.domain.com.---CNAME------domain.com.

after doing the following configuration i restarted plesk
(i don't know why plesk is putting .s at the end, but i think it's just for display?) anyway When i tell my domain registrar that the nameservers for a particular domain (say xyz.com) are ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com nothing happens. I wait 48 to 72 hours but still it's not working. The domains keep pointing to the old ns servers with the registrar. seems that the settings are not applied because the registrar doesn't like my ns servers. I have another domain with 1and1 which i tried to point to my ns servers and i got Missing service!

Please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong. I got the 2 different ip addresses set up on the server machine and plesk but have no clue why it's not working.

thanks in advance.

have you registered ns1 and ns2 as domain servers with your provider?

With 1and1, I could not point a domain to my name servers unless i registered those name servers as such first. the reverse on the ip's also has to show ns1 and ns2 respectively.

You need to create glue records (register with your domain provider as mentioned above).

What is a glue record?
A glue record is the IP address of a name server held at the domain name registry.

Glue records are required when you wish to set the name servers of a domain name to a hostname under the domain name itself.

For example if you wished to set the name servers of example.com to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com you would need to also provide the glue records (i.e. the IP addresses) for ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com.

If you did not provide the glue records for these name servers then your domain name would not work as anyone requiring DNS information for it would get stuck in a loop:

What is the name server for example.com? -> ns1.example.com
What is the IP address of ns1.example.com? -> don't know, try looking at name server for example.com

...and so on.

With the glue record in place the registry will hold the IP address and the loop will not occur:

What is the IP address of ns1.example.com? -> [IP Address]

Back