• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setup Mails

P

pippin

I cant get mail to work is there things i dont have done.I have setup a mail account on one of my domains and i have bought the domain at domeneshop.no and there i have set in MX record mail.xxxx.com is this right?Or is it anything else i have to do to set up mails for the domain?Its no use of setting up mail for the other domains before i get this right

I have set up a mail account but i cant access it with mail.xxx.com but i can reach it with the internal IP on my server.Can anybody tell me whats wrong?

IMAP is workin but when i use POP3 i get this error 0x800CCC0F

Originally posted by pippin
IMAP is workin but when i use POP3 i get this error 0x800CCC0F

hi pippin.

it's not clear what OS and MTA you are using. actually MX record is obliged but MTA also has to be setup properly. Tell what mail-server you are running and we'll find a way to get this stuff running

Originally posted by DaDomainMasta
hi pippin.

it's not clear what OS and MTA you are using. actually MX record is obliged but MTA also has to be setup properly. Tell what mail-server you are running and we'll find a way to get this stuff running

MTA i am not sure if i have set up but IMAP is working and i use the latest PLESK for linux acctually debian etch and i belive its qmail that is my POP3 server.

Where i am connecting is on a laptop using
Windows XP Media Center

MTA i am not sure if i have set up but IMAP is working and i use the latest PLESK for linux acctually debian etch and i belive its qmail that is my POP3 server.

Where i am connecting is on a laptop using
Windows XP Media Center

ok, all plesk for *nix run QMail as an MTA.

now check if your mail.xxxxxx.com is resolved.

on your station where you are connecting from, run cmd and type:
> nslookup mail.xxxxx.com

it should give some IP addresses back. if succeeded, type next:

> telnet mail.xxxxxx.com 110

you should see kind of greeting message of MTA. if so, type

> USER <your mail login>
> PASS <you mail pw>

report on every step, if it succeeds or not, that will help to find out what is wrong

nslookup mail.xxxxx.com

Give me the IP to my Firewall and my external IP

telnet mail.xxxxx.com 110 gave me no response

nslookup mail.xxxxx.com

Give me the IP to my Firewall and my external IP

telnet mail.xxxxx.com 110 gave me no response

ok, mailserver is resolved, that's good.

the reason you cannot go on port 110 might be in your windows firewall (or HW firewall if there's any). qmail does accept connections on 110 port, that is for sure (just checked).

setup your windows firewall either to allow your mail client all connections or just open 110 port, or unblock 110 port for tcp in your hardware firewall

Thats funny because i have a smooothie wich is linux based with GUI

And here are the output from the GUI

TCP ALL POP3 (110) 192.168.1.2 POP3 (110)

Success: I can see your service on 84.xx.xxx.227 on port (110)
Your ISP is not blocking port 110

This is from http://www.canyouseeme.org,but i do have a firewall on my laptop though,meybe its that firewall that cause it:mad:

I have worked it out thank you very much for your help.I have a pop3 proxy on my firewall and when i removed it it went thrue.Now i can manage my other mail accounts

Thats funny because i have a smooothie wich is linux based with GUI

And here are the output from the GUI

TCP ALL POP3 (110) 192.168.1.2 POP3 (110)

Success: I can see your service on 84.xx.xxx.227 on port (110)
Your ISP is not blocking port 110

This is from http://www.canyouseeme.org,but i do have a firewall on my laptop though,meybe its that firewall that cause it:mad:

yeah, disable the prick (if it's m$ built-in firewall).
start->control panel->administrative tools->services->Firewall/ICS - disable.

do not use connection properties for that, firewall stays enabled anyway, tested many times.

actually it's better to add 110 to the local firewall, but really m$ built-in firewall is useless

But if it hasnt been for you i had not think it was my firewall as canyouseeme.org said it was open.Thanks again.I am glad you helped me

But if it hasnt been for you i had not think it was my firewall as canyouseeme.org said it was open.Thanks again.I am glad you helped me

ah, dmn. missed your reply where you said you have worked out the pop3-proxy.

aright, good to know it's all wokring now.

Yes now i wait for my IBM server that comes next week for setting up PLESK on that server.But you havent a clue how big a database server has to be to serve let say 1000 people at the same time?

How big the CPU`s has to be and how much memory.I know you have helped me a lot but i am not sure of this as i am new to hosting

Yes now i wait for my IBM server that comes next week for setting up PLESK on that server.But you havent a clue how big a database server has to be to serve let say 1000 people at the same time?

How big the CPU`s has to be and how much memory.I know you have helped me a lot but i am not sure of this as i am new to hosting

Well not sure what is 'database server'. If you are talking about machine that will serve 1000 domains - it has to be a *really fat* machine. Say 2 dual core proc's, 8gigs of RAM mounted and really big and fast HDs. I doubt trivial SATAs will do the job, even in RAID. It's gotta be an expensive toy:)

Configuration I saw once - 2xdual cores, 8G RAM and 2x500Gig SCSI was used to serve 600 domains, not sure how much resources left free, but this server worked well. Under win2003;)

I am planning og getting two 4-way CPU eighter Opteron or Xeon and SAS disks in eigher RAID-1 or RAID-O not sure yet.,and maybe 8-12GB of ram serving lets say 30 domains.I have now a 50/35 Mbps fiberline so i cant have more domains then 30 and the members on these forums /websites will be on lets say between 1000-2000 constantly. i have seen on a 4-way Xeon from IBM to 8000$ hope that will be a server for the future.And i have bought Acronis Image Light and wonder if that makes a image of the hole server?

I am planning og getting two 4-way CPU eighter Opteron or Xeon and SAS disks in eigher RAID-1 or RAID-O not sure yet.,and maybe 8-12GB of ram serving lets say 30 domains.I have now a 50/35 Mbps fiberline so i cant have more domains then 30 and the members on these forums /websites will be on lets say between 1000-2000 constantly. i have seen on a 4-way Xeon from IBM to 8000$ hope that will be a server for the future.

:D :cool:

this one will be far enough for sure:)

And i have bought Acronis Image Light and wonder if that makes a image of the hole server?

yeah. as far as know light version can manage the whole server.

but man - 8k for the server and saving 0.3k on the backup software sounds wierd. why not Pro? to be at the top means to be at the top. Pro has functionality of modulating server load and thus find bottlenecks in order to increase productivity. do not consider as an advertisement, just wondering.

I wasnt sure if Acronis could backup with a image live as the server was on.Thats why i was so cheap;)
Its not the money that stops me but i havent got so many answers on this site to be sure.But you have helped me a lot and i am glad for that:)

Hope i can use my brand new tapestreamer for the job.I hate that the good programms are only working in windows:mad:

But i do anything for my members on my forum and forums and only the best is good enough for them.

But as soon as i have been validated for the lisence i will go for pro.I cant understand why its taking so long as i have paid and the money has been transfer.But i have had help from support at PLESK saying that they shall push on to the company to get me the license.

And another thing is can buy a second fiberline and set up PLESK on that too without buying a second licence from PLESK?.Then i can have up to 100 domains and that will be fun

I wasnt sure if Acronis could backup with a image live as the server was on.Thats why i was so cheap;)
Its not the money that stops me but i havent got so many answers on this site to be sure.But you have helped me a lot and i am glad for that:)
Hope i can use my brand new tapestreamer for the job. I hate that the good programms are only working in windows:mad:
i forgot to say - that server was under Plesk for windows%)

But i do anything for my members on my forum and forums and only the best is good enough for them.

But as soon as i have been validated for the lisence i will go for pro.I cant understand why its taking so long as i have paid and the money has been transfer.But i have had help from support at PLESK saying that they shall push on to the company to get me the license.
all financial stuff is always that long. once upon a time i had to wait two weeks to get my penalty payment for traffic rules violation validated:)

And another thing is can buy a second fiberline and set up PLESK on that too without buying a second licence from PLESK?.Then i can have up to 100 domains and that will be fun

their current policy is 'one installation - one license'.

so you can use one server, one installation, for 2 lines. Plesk allows to bind domains to different IPs if there are several available at the server.

two servers mean two installations therefore two licenses.

Okidoki i was afraid it was like this but i thought as long as i was under the limit of domains it was OK,but if i must increase domains i will buy a second license.But i have plenty of spare domains now as i have only started a couple of months ago.I just do it for fun to inlight me in network and hosting,and my users had to have mail and FTP access so thats why i choose PLESK,and i have heard of PLESK and C-Panel but i didnt see any solution on Linux for C-panel and thats why i chose PLESK.Now i am a step further as you have been so kind to me explaining things a have searched for on yhe forum and homepage for PLESK.But thats a facts its not near google when you type in some search words.But maybe i use the wrong terms:p I try + and AND in my search but there is no search results when i try:mad:

Back