• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setup Questions

R

RavSS

Hi all

Plesk has been installed without problems on new dedicated server.

Now currently our domain (lets say horrible.co.uk) was bought from easily.co.uk and is pointing to domain servers of 34sp.com. 34sp.com then point the domain to our dedicated server (not the plesk one).

What we wish to do is have easily goto our plesk server and we can run our domain and others from that.

From what i gather i need to Register Primary and Secondary nameservers with registrar to (2) local IP's on the Plesk system.

the 2 IP addresses on the plesk system are not a problem thats done, but does this mean change the DNS setting within easily.co.uk's control panel to point to our plesk box ie..

ns1.horrible.co.uk points to plesk server ip 1
ns2.horrible.co.uk points to plesk server ip 2

Doing that would remove 34sp.com from the link but if thats right not sure where to go from there.

Hello,

From what you descibed, that sounds right to me.

an update so far

got my domain holder to update our domain with the ns1. and ns2.

(The name has been updated as requested and the 2 nameservers listed).

They are pointing to plesk box and another box running nameserver.

so am i right in thinking that i need to wait untill i can ping ns1.superserver.co.uk (till it resolves to the IP). plesk is all setup and running

Hello,

Yes - it will take a little while before you can ping it and you should be able to ping it once the name has been resolved as long as a firewall isn't blocking any pings.

About the secondary DNS, I do use one for a few sites, but the majority of mine just point to two ip addresses set up on my Plesk box. More than likely, if the system isn't working, then without redundancy, it's not gonna matter anyway.

Can i just check.. this is correct..

<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.superserver.co.uk.
<domain>. NS ns2.superserver.co.uk.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
ns1.<domain>. NS ns1.superserver.co.uk.
ns2.<domain>. NS ns2.superserver.co.uk.
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

DNS settings uner plesk.. the ns1 and ns2 were setup yesturday with my domain holder.. so far ns.superserver pings (not sure why) but others dont..

Just want to make sure its right so far.

Back