• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Severe issue with plesk migration

Mickael Salfati

Regular Pleskian
Hi Parallels Team,

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Centos 6 Plesk 10.4.4 MU18 x64 - Debian 6 Plesk 10.4.4 MU18 X64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Create a domain with 100 subdomains on a plesk server
Migrate this domain from an another server

ACTUAL RESULT
Migration failed with this error for 12 subdomains:
ERROR: () Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/subdomain.php --create meteo-regionale -domain domain.net -www-root subdomains/meteo-regionale/httpdocs -ssl false -same_ssl false -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain creation: An error occurred while updating domain settings: The limit on serial number changes has been reached. No more DNS zone changes can be carried out today.
ERROR: (hosting object 'domain.net') Failed deployment of subdomain utopia (domain domain.net)
ERROR: () Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/subdomain.php --create utopia -domain domain.net -www-root subdomains/utopia/httpdocs -ssl false -same_ssl false -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.

Plesk can't migrate domain with over 98 subdomains.

EXPECTED RESULT
Migration Okay and no limit in the number of subdomains.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I also tried to disable DNS service for this domain, switch the DNS service (for this domain) as slave server before the migration but no way to migrate this domain.

This issue is there on all plesk versions (since 8.6) all OSes and all platforms (Windows/Linux)
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have forwarded your report to developers. Let's wait their answer. I will update thread.

Looks like it is a very old issue related to DNS zone serial format.
Format have 2 options:
1) unix time-stamp. No restrictions for zone update
2) format recommended by IETF and RIPE. (year_month_day_number). has a restriction for number of zone updates per day. (looks like 99)

I can suggest you try to switch to "unix time stamp" format for migrated domains on source server, perform migration, switch option back if it's necessary.

Option can be switched somewhere <domain> -> <DNS> -> <SOA Record> -> Uncheck "Use serial number format recommended by IETF and RIPE" checkbox

I'm not 100% sure but most probably it will help.

IgorG,

I just thought that I should (perhaps) change also the DNS Soa on the target server because when Plesk restore the domain, it will apply the Soa method on the new server.

I make a test this weekend and I keep you informed ;)

Back