• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue SFTP BACKUP to Local NAS extremely slow

paddaone1

New Pleskian
Hello everyone,

I use a hosted dedicated server with Plesk Obsidian18.0.25 for clients and personal stuff and back it up every night on my local Synology DS918+ NAS sitting behind a PfSense 2.4.4 router/firewall. I used to back up the plesk server with the FTP protocol but not being very secured, I decided to upgrade the back up in purchasing the extension SFTP BACKUP.

Configuration is easy and Plesk backup module can see all backups on the local NAS. SO they communicate and it works.
My problem is that the backup using the sftp backup module is extremely slow!!! Max bandwidth used is 500k. One of my domains is 44Go and it took more than 2 days to do a full backup.

So did some troubleshooting to see where the bottleneck is coming from.
  1. If I reverse to FTP, backups are very fast and use most of the bandwidth on the NAS.
  2. I also backup some wordpress websites hosted on the server using the Updraft Plus extension and SFTP protocol. Transfers are very fast. So no problem with NAS and router because it accepts the sftp connection and opens all bandwidth for it.
  3. If I turn off firewall on plesk, I double bandwidth but still under 1Mb/s. Not very fast. I got 7 to 8 times that when I backup just the wordpress sites or use the FTP protocol.
I don't get why it works from wordpress extension using updraft and not from the server using sftp_backup...

My only solution so far would to revert to FTP but really don't like it. But can't wait couple of days to backup a domain!!

If anyone has an idea, do not hesitate!!
Thank you for your help!!!

I just want to say that our developers are working on this problem already in scope of internal issue EXTPLESK-1482

Hello and thank you very much for your answer.

Happy to finally know where the problem is coming from!!!
What is plesk recommending concerning this issue? I'm sorry to be nit picking but they are selling the extension without warning and this is pretty much the only extension that is not sending backup towards external services such as google, dropbox and co.

It's really not for the 48€ spent on a premium extension but I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what was wrong with this.
Again I'm not trying to be difficult but it is very important to me to backup all my data on a regular basis and not have to wait 2 days to backup 40Go.

Have a good day!

I just want to say that our developers are working on this problem already in scope of internal issue EXTPLESK-1482

Hello everyone,
Anyone with an idea other than implement regular FTP(s)?
Am I the only one with this problem?

The fix of EXTPLESK-1482 is planned for the next Plesk update.

Back