• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Share your experience and contribute to Plesk development strategy!

Our main concern is backup, security and migration.
So it should be nice to have more tools for this.

For example tools to :
  • Backup entire machine.
  • Migrate entire machine to new one.
  • Check and secure a list of important (mandatory?) points.
  • Manage SSH keys.
  • Clean automatically local backup files older than a number of days.
  • Check log files size and find unrotated ones.
ALSO this is other needs ...

Apache and NGINX config management :
  • Add possibility to manage a custom global configuration file for Apache and same for Nginx.
Fail2ban manager could be improved :
  • When we whitelist or blacklist an IP, should be very cool to have a field to label it.
  • Also should be very usefull to have a column with a date to know when an IP have been black or whitelisted.
  • Add possibility to add a list of IP to whitelist or blacklist by pasting a txt file (line or comma or semicolon separated).
Outgoing mail manager :
  • Tool to see mailqueue and find an email by subject, id, outgoing domain
  • Tool to explore mail log.
Log tool :
  • It's very hard to find records by date/hour.
    The search tool never work if we ask for records from 2hours ago (for example)...
    We always have to click 50 times on "Load previous entries" to reach desired records ... Boring !
Crontask Manager :
  • Should be nice to have more informations (as in Scheduled backup list extension) :
    • Last execution (with result).
    • Next execution.
    • Path to cron file on system (to help if we need to edit in CLI).
Statistics tool (for each Webspace) :
  • Possibility to order list by columns (actually Diskspace used, and bandwith).
  • Add more column/data : Memory usage Peak/Average, CPU usage Peak/Average, MYSQL/MariaDB CPU and memory usage Peak/Average

Last edited:
One thing what really is annoying is the lack of interaction with your users. Support tickets mostly just rely on linking to knowledge base articles (whether they fit or not) or suggesting to create a feature request at the Uservoice platform. There are 100s if not 1000s of requests with upvotes and comments, but there is no visible progress or indication if anyone even cares about these requests. The communication strategy is really really bad and needs to be improved. A good thing would be an openly accessible roadmap which shows what features are to be expected in which release and when this release is to be expected.

I want to share my quick experience. At first glance i really liked Plesk. It has a UI that can be comfortable for most user experiences. Then i started to use it as a reseller.
It is severely lacking some features for resellers.
- The login for customers without SSL on port 8443 is a nightmare.
- No option to edit notifications from Plesk (like new user, password reset, mails when exceeding quota). It would be a basic feature to have the ability to input smpt server and send messages from custom mail and the ability to change mail templates.
- Because of this white labeling is impossible as a reseller.
- Also small things like refreshing disk stats is not available in reseller view or ability to restore server backups from the hosting.
I hope someone from Plesk reads this, but i don't have any high hopes.

Upfront said, PLESK is a tremendous help to someone who only has only basic knowledge of LINUX Administration and only an occasional need to make some changes.
So anything said further here has to been taken in this relation, it's just remarks towards "Continuous Improvement".

Updates:
It should be possible to upgrade/update all used system as a basic functionality in PLESK.
So there should be no manual updates be necessary to be made to update of the like
  • Spamassessin
  • MariaDB
  • etc.
Additional function
  • git push from the web-site to the servers local repository.
    This is required for CMS sites, where data is brought into the site from the web and so that changes on the server can also be brought back into development systems, respectively set upo a system on the server an bring it back into a development environment with git clone/git fetch
  • aliases for subdomains
    if one has a multidomain CMS (multiple domains in one CMS system) and would like to do development or staging work on the server he/she has the necessity to access the domains also in the dev/staging environment.
We were asked, so I told! :)

Our main concern is backup, security and migration.
So it should be nice to have more tools for this.

For example tools to :
  • Backup entire machine.
  • Check and secure a list of important (mandatory?) points.
  • Manage SSH keys.
  • Clean automatically local backup files older than a number of days.
  • Check log files size and find unrotated ones.
ALSO this is other needs ...

Apache and NGINX config management :
  • Add possibility to manage a custom global configuration file for Apache and same for Nginx.
Fail2ban manager could be improved :
  • When we whitelist or blacklist an IP, should be very cool to have a field to label it.
  • Also should be very usefull to have a column with a date to know when an IP have been black or whitelisted.
  • Add possibility to add a list of IP to whitelist or blacklist by pasting a txt file (line or comma or semicolon separated).
Outgoing mail manager :
  • Tool to see mailqueue and find an email by subject, id, outgoing domain
Log tool :
  • It's very hard to find records by date/hour.
    The search tool never work if we ask for records from 2hours ago (for example)...
    We always have to click 50 times on "Load previous entries" to reach desired records ... Boring !
Crontask Manager :
  • Should be nice to have more informations (as in Scheduled backup list extension) :
    • Last execution (with result).
    • Next execution.
    • Path to cron file on system (to help if we need to edit in CLI).
Statistics tool (for each Webspace) :
  • Add more column/data : Memory usage Peak/Average, CPU usage Peak/Average, MYSQL/MariaDB CPU and memory usage Peak/Average
About

• Backup entire machine.
Thinks that is not really an plesk problem, you can use virtual server for this, proxmox (we use it since long years ago) is free and work fine for this with plesk kvm server.... you can clone/backup entire servers.

There is extentions for this.

For us, we wait and wait and wait this feature (7 years ago) :

hope plesk team will consider it....

I have been using Plesk for a very long time and have to say I am very happy where it goes.
BUT :)

Please enable the old Samba support, or at least give some guidance how to fix the issues with the old extension. We had that extension properly configured and our dev team (8ppl) were using it on a daily basis. Few weeks ago our admin noticed a bug in the GUI and tried to reinstall the extension from an old server backup. The configuration was migrated properly but some parts are missing and the /user shares aren't working.
We need some parts of the server mounted as drives, SFTP drive solutions are slow and not reliable.

Right now we're facing huge problems because of this, and looks like its impossible to fix because of the code obfuscation.
Please be so kind and help us in some form.
We have the capacity to help out with the development if necessary.

Thank you,
David

I have joined this community later... but I must say this was a great initiative... I hope other services can take same steps so they can have users view and can upgrade the stuff according to their reviews.... good post... great step...

@Alexey Sobolev simple story: difficulties in continuing my service, since your license fees increased by 257% within the last 5 years. Is this a responsible development and treatment of customers?

Here at Pana Marketing would be more than happy to have an interview with Plesk! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back