• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Sitebuilder 5... getting better...

NeuroPsyche

Regular Pleskian
Does anyone know why Parallels removed very important modules in SB 5?

They announced, and even filmed and put online media on their site the NEW fantastic release of Sitebuilder 5 and that users could now 'port over' their SB 4.5 sites to SB 5.

I'd like to know how our customers are to port over 4.5 sites to 5.x if the modules aren't there to support the functions.

I've never known of any company to 'remove' functionality, ability, features, from a newer program. Usually more features are added... along with the previous ones. Yes, I do know that SB 5 is NOT a replacment for SB 4.5. It is NOW new and an integrated part of Plesk.

SB 5.x is looking quite good and has great functionality, for the first time user that does not have the skills or knowledge to make a web site. What hurts our company is that we've had customers for years, almost a decade now, using SB 4.5, and are used to the modules and how they function. They also are getting anxious to use SB 5 but cannot because they use the online store and image gallery capabilities.

Parallels... We need to have the functionality of 4.5 built into 5.
We need the store and image gallery.... When you write the image gallery please put in a spot for the location of the files, and not make the uploading process 'proprietary' as we've had many customers now that think they can transfer 4.5 to 5 and not loose their pictures. As far as I know there is no way to 'extract' the images from the DB in 4.5...

... if someone knows how please post...

Hi NeuroPsyche,

SB 10.3 has Image Gallery and e-Shop support. Unfortunately, no data migration from 4.5 is available at the moment, but we are working on this feature.

Great to hear! I've read over and over again the release notes for Plesk 10.3 / SB and am amazed!
Your going to make Plesk one of the best products once again for hosting!

The importance that Plesk has a 'simple and easy to use' Sitebuilder is one of the most important functions because it's a starting point for many customers to create and get their web sites published on the web. SB 4.5 was great but lacked stability and configurability. SB 5.x is great and adds to SB 4.5 plus more, from the release notes.

Thank you Parallels for making a great product great again!

Hi NeuroPsyche,

Thank you very much -- and please let us know how else we can improve our products. Thanks!

Love the new site builder. i must say that i cant wait to see the future developments. This has been a great asset to my web hosting services.

Hi Stefano,

Thank you very much for your compliments. We have a lot of great improvements planned for WPB next year, both for hosters and for end-customers. Let me know if there are some things in particular you'd like to appear. Thanks!

New feature request..

Hello Custer,

I'm glad to hear that WPB will still be enhanced. You (Parallels) have a great product with such potential, most of which you probably don't realize because your on the mfg end... Being on both the reseller and user end I see so many areas for enhancement and improvements... I could go on and on with new feature requests but I'll limit them to what I believe would be most influential to all.

1) Built in Forum Module, allow for USER sign-in security... Multiple admin, user, and guest account levels & security all to interface with USER account settings such as their profile, user pics, favorite forums, recent posts, new posts, moderator levels, view/edit levels, file upload/download ability particular to forum, and user secuirty access levels, controlled by moderator, overruled by Admin(s). Guest setting to view only, controlled by moderator(s) or Admins(s). Multiple file upload/download folders by creation of moderator(s), or admin(s). Virtual GUI display to allow moderator(s) or admin to use the same functions in SB5 to drag/drop areas on site for scripts, hotlinks, advertisements, etc....
... these functions put together will create a virtual interface for social networking...

2) Protected SSL file upload/download module w/ability to use normal drive/path directory nomenclature to point to external devices such as SAN, NAS, storage units.

3) Additional features to above would raise a totally new feature with so much potential for bringing in revenue for both resellers and users... The new feature would be an enhancement to #2... Off-Site Storage Module... Protected and administered with the same runtimes as #2 but to allow for 'push' of an ActiveX or Java applet to remote station to allow for unattended file sharing and sync. With 'Cloud' services becoming more and more abundant on the Internet for MIDs, Workstations, PCs, Tablets, etc... expansion of SFTP or proprietary 'Server<>Client' runtimes.
I've been working on coding for an offsite storage facility, automated feature for both remote and host, to be able to sync files. Offsite storage is a big-time, great revenue producing service that's becoming more and more needed as data capacities grow. The need to have some off-site storage facility is needed by all, individual, commercial, industrial, govermental. Secuirty, file encryption, either done by hardware or software is needed. Hosting provider/reseller would have to determine their needs if they need hardware encrytion on drive arrays/file cabinet systems such as NetApps drive shelfs and file managment systems. Encryption on the fly for I/o through WAN/Internet would be based upon standard SSL with keycode / certificate ability, again giving the reseller/host/user the ability to add what they need and want, and what they themselves deem appropriate for their data security needs.

4) Photo Gallery.. with ability to 'point' to directory within the Users/host provider httpdocs directory, with multiple file level deep ability, and the ability to index filename with a directory that would incorporate thumbnail, description, age, date, title, favorite level, etc.

5) Document managment system, based upon the same principles of #4 for photogallery except instead of graphic files it would take any document.

6) Address book function, again using much of the same programming runtimes as #4 and #5, thus reducing redundant code, and time for R&D, and testing

7) New module for Usenet groups, allowing users to subscribe and read online usenet group data.
.. as we all know there is a great need and nitch in the web industry for file sharing, information sharing utilizing the usenet network. Years ago the Internet was based upon Usenet. Usenet is one of the 'channels' of the internet that made it grow to what it is now. What changed? The interface, the GUI to display information to the user via pretty pictures, streaming, incorporated in an almost virtual display. Usenet can be used as the 'library' of information. Who ever comes up with a GUI to interface into this remarkable stream of data will revolutionize the IT industry, and the internet. There is great potenial to use and keep using the usenet stream. On can think of usenet as the library, what has to be created is a 'cataloging' system and a user friendly GUI, real-time, interface to input/output data from usenet groups, at both text and file levels.

that's about all I can think of that would be most influential for all users of Parallels Plesk Web Presence Builder...

I have many more ideas but they mostly are based upon my own needs, most of which I write my own php, C#, code ...

Thank you greatly for asking for enhancement ideas...

Back