• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Sites do not send emails

Andriy_Martynyuk

New Pleskian
Started after last update 12.0.18 Update #44 (on CloudLinux):
I can send mail wia created mailboxes, but sites can not send mail, contact forms say "Failed to send your message."
maillog file also do not indicate sending any messages from domains.
Wordpress restore password claims:
"The e-mail could not be sent.
Possible reason: your host may have disabled the mail() function."
php.ini is default:
safe_mode = Off
disable_functions = is empty
Please point where to dig.

Last edited:
Run

# php -i | grep sendmail

and check that you have

Path to sendmail => /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Check the following set of symbolic links and make sure that none of them lead to a non-existing location. For example on my test Plesk 12:

[root@ppu12-0 ~]# ll /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 30 05:24 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
[root@ppu12-0 ~]# ll /etc/alternatives/mta
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Apr 30 05:24 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
[root@ppu12-0 ~]# ll /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root root 52480 Apr 30 05:24 /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper

We have cagefs installed, this is the output under user's shell:

bash-4.1# php -i | grep sendmail
sendmail_from => no value => no value
sendmail_path => /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i => /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
Path to sendmail => /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
bash-4.1# ls -la /usr/sbin/sendmail
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 363 Apr 24 04:18 /usr/sbin/sendmail

under root account:
# ll /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Feb 27 03:17 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
# ll /etc/alternatives/mta
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Feb 27 03:17 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
# ll /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper: No such file or directory

Same configuration on the second server runs perfectly.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Feb 27 03:17 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
# ll /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper: No such file or directory

You have symlink to /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper but not to /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
Therefore check that /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper exists.

# ls -la /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root root 65040 Apr 24 04:18 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
# ls -la /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper

sending mail under root with sendmail -t -i works.

Please mark as resolved. The issue about not sending mail from domains was - old versions of LVE anf CageFS are incompatible with latest plesk update, updating them caused all sites in Cagefs to throw error 500 with log string:
"SecureLVE jail error Invalid regexps: no match for path to base home directory".
It was fixed by changing cagefs.base.home.dirs regexp to the real sites folder location. Enabling cagefs back removed one of the files it shouldn't:
"Removed file /var/cagefs/81/xxx/etc/php.d/soap.ini"
So be carefull to place necesssary files back.
For now everything works.

Back