1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

SMTP authentication not working

Discussion in 'Plesk 10.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by Andy_N, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Andy_N

Andy_N New Pleskian

85%
    I have a server "example.com" with a mail account "myself" that redirects on a gmail one (myself@example.com -> .....@gmail.com).

I've set SMTP authentication (within plesk) and it seems to work.

ANYWAY: I receive much spam stating "strangeaccount@blahblah.ext via example.com" as sender, where "example.com" is MY OWN SERVER (while the mail account changes often)! So it seems someone is sending mail thru my own server, but I cannot work out how to check / protect it (and the point is that my IP could be misunderstood as being a spammer!)

In /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog, for example, I have:
    Feb 2 15:54:28 {MYOWNSERVERNAME} postfix/smtpd[22724]: connect from unknown[190.223.53.198]
    Feb 2 15:54:29 {MYOWNSERVERNAME} postfix/smtpd[22724]: E6D67239E: client=unknown[190.223.53.198]
    Feb 2 15:54:31 {MYOWNSERVERNAME} postfix/smtpd[22724]: disconnect from unknown[190.223.53.198]

Where the IP seems a known spamming server... and I've received a mail with that ID (E6D67239E).

What can I check more? Which files/logs?

Thankx!!

2. Andy_N

Andy_N New Pleskian

85%
    Is there any way to check how mail are being sent from my server? Specifically which user are logging in, so to check if there's any "hole" somewhere... I state that there are "n" users, with a strong password set.