• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SMTP Mail not working after upgrade

KirkM

Regular Pleskian
After upgrading to 10.x, the domain outgoing mail has stopped working. Using the usual mail.domainname.com won't send through 587 or 25. Sending securely through the server's certificate and mailserver on 993 for IMAP accounts is fine.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Did you tried to investigate Plesk mail log /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog and rebuild mailsettings with
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam
?

I really don't know what I am reading in the maillog, but it doesn't seem to list anything wrong with the site and email address I am using as a test bed. All sites that use the regular domain's mailserver of mail.domain.com for outgoing don't work. Using the server's mailserver works going SSL and using the server's cert. Going non-SSL on port 587 is rejected. POP3 incoming non-ssl on port 110 works. It is only SMTP that isn't working using the domain's mailserver non-ssl. I hope this makes sense.

I did run the restore:

[root@secure ~]# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam
==> Checking for: mail_spam_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mailsrv_conf_init... ok
==> Checking for: mail_mailbox_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mailsrv_entities_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mail_admin_aliases... ok
==> Checking for: mail_auth_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mailman_lists_dump... ok
==> Checking for: mail_responder_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_drweb_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_kav_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_spf_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_dk_restore... ok
==> Checking for: mail_grey_restore... ok

It didn't help. My clients using IMAP and going through the main server and its cert are fine. The clients using their domain mailserver can't send mail.

Thanks for the help.

Here is an error message one of my clients just sent me:

Server Error: 530
Server Response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
Server: 'mail.xxxxxx.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

Last edited:
So now I am making a guess that something is wrong with the authentication in SMTP. Here is a message that all my clients and my test email get when trying to send non-ssl authenticated email out:

None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Using simple password authentication just like before the upgrade only now it is refusing it.

I have a second test server that is set up identically to my production server. I switched it to Qmail and everything with mail worked fine. I switched it back to postfix and you can't send out regular mail unless you are sending SSL, just like the problem I have on the production server. Clients are pissed. Can't we get some help on this?

I have had my host provider in contact with Parallels about this issue. Here is Parallels' response:

=====
This issue seems to be in a Postfix configuration, because Plesk does not have such kind of settings. I am really sorry to say, but Postfix is a third party-component and Parallels does not support it.

I am not an expert in Postfix either, though I have found an article for you. Hope it will be useful. It is about adding TLS support to Postfix: http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/postfix_tls_support.html

One more resource containing Postfix How-to-s and FAQs is http://www.postfix.org/docs.html.

Feel free to ask questions if there is anything else I can do for you.
=====

So let me get this straight. Parallels is saying that they don't support software that they include in their Plesk panel, that is an option in the updates section of their Plesk panel and their Plesk panel installs? And by Parallels own admission, it takes an "expert" to configure it. And how come it worked in 9.x and not 10? Plesk has nothing to do with that?

Last edited:
/etc/postfix/master.conf

Scroll down to "submission inet n - n - -......" line.
Change "smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt" to "smtpd_tls_security_level=may"

My first post. Hope it helps.

Tried it on my test box with both secure IMAP and non-secure POP / SMTP (port 587) and it looks like that works. I am going to hold my breath and put it in on my production server's master.cf in place of the very bad hack I have there now.

Many thanks for the tip.

@MoRa,
I broke my head why my mail with plain text authentication wasn't working anymore on port 587 after the upgrade to Plesk 10. Your solution is working perfectly, so thank you very much!

Last edited:
I am happy to hear its working. Kirk I felt your frustration and it motivated me to figure it out. I just got lucky. You are all very welcome.

Last edited:
Port 587 option not accessible from panel

Hi - Slightly different scenario as I have upgraded to Plesk 10.0.1 and have QMail server running.

The Admin Guide says:
To protect your server against unauthorized mail relaying or injection of unsolicited bulk mail, select the Enable message submission checkbox to allow your customers to send e-mail messages through the port 587.

However, the option to configure this isn't available from the Plesk panel!
Home> Server and Panel Settings> Server-wide mail settings

Has this functionality been removed or is this a license issue and therefore I can't see it?

Many thanks

Here is an error message one of my clients just sent me:

Server Error: 530
Server Response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
Server: 'mail.xxxxxx.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

Same problem after moving from qmail to postfix

Enabling submission create this line at the very end of master.cf file

submission inet n - n - - smtpd -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=

Changing -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt to -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

remove the error. Thanks

BUT. for plesk staff why this error, how to correct it ?

Also is it normal that I have spamd running with
--helper-home-dir=/var/qmail

Thanks by advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is quite irresponsability of development, realeasing a update that crash what is working.
I have a plesk version 11.0.9 on a windows 2008 that was working perfectly for sending emails via smtp.

All of the sudden after a automatic update the smtp does not work anymore.

I require urgent help regarding this issue.

Regards,
Renato.

Here it goes IgorG

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk version 11.0.9 update #34, WINDOWS WEB SERVER 2008 R2, 64 BITS

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
SMTP server stopped working after automatic plesk update, while trying to send email via smtp with password authentication on port 25 the conection attempt times out.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Configure a client with an account with smtp password authentication on port 25 and it will fail

ACTUAL RESULT
All emails does not relay from any account

EXPECTED RESULT
All emails to be relayed as it was before after update crash it

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
This is a urgent problem since many customers now are not able to send emails using their accounts.
A urgent update is necessary to maintain reliability of service.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Windows? Sorry, but please add any logs, error messages, steps-to-reproduce and any other additional details and move it to Windows section of forum.
Thanks.

Back