• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

smtp traffic by authentified user, not by email

ikaryn

New Pleskian
Hello, this situation:

- plesk 10.4 / linux
- a suscription ej. domain.com, with mail service actived, and one mailbox [email protected]
- the user uses this mailbox, with their valid login and password as outgoing server configured in Outloot (or other mail cliente)
- all ok

- however instead of using [email protected] as ther email, he uses other email (existent or not, ej, [email protected]) as MAIL FROM: in outlook
(exist an spf record in otherdomain.com dns, allowing sending mails from from this server ip)

- !!all outgoing traffic used by this user sending mails, does not appear in smtp stats (traffic by service report) and is not used for its traffic quota!!

I have doubts whether this can be something not covered by statistics or smtp statistics are based only on the user's MAIL FROM: and not on authenticated user

How I can control this traffic in the statistics?

thx

This is very interesting.

So, what you are saying is if a customer using authenticated SMTP configures a FROM address in their email client that is not equal to any domain hosted in Plesk, the email traffic is not accounted in the usage stats for that customer.

I can see why this is happening. I guess the data is accounted for by domain, and since the FROM is not for a domain on the server, it is not tracked.

This is not exactly a bug, more of an oversight that probably needs to be addresses in a future release.

Good catch there! I had never thought about it or noticed it.

Please can you follow the instructions at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106113 so that Igor can pass this on to the developers?

thx Faris

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
psa v10.4.4_build1013120126.11, #43, os_CentOS 5.5, 64bits

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
smtp usage traffic is contabilized by "mail from" and not by mailbox authentified user

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
> create new suscription mydomain.com with email service
> create new mailbox in this suscription, [email protected],
> configure your mail client with this mailbox, using smtp mail server: mydomain.com or plesk ip, and
this mailbox as login credentials
mail: [email protected]
smtp outgoing server: mydomain.com
account name: [email protected],
password: xxxxxx

> send 100mb emails with this account but using this FROM: [email protected]

telnet mydomain.com 25
helo mydomain.com
authplain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mail from:<[email protected]>
rctp to: [email protected]
data
......bla.bla.bla.....(100mb of bla bla bla bla)
quit

ACTUAL RESULT
> home > suscriptions > mydomain.com > statistics > data transfer statistics
smtp: used: 0.00 MB in: 0.00 MB out: 0.00 MB % of all: 0%

EXPECTED RESULT
> home > suscriptions > mydomain.com > statistics > data transfer statistics
smtp: used: 100.00 MB in: 0.00 MB out: 100.00 MB % of all: 100%

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------
smtp usage statistics is aparently contabilized by "mail from" of emails, not by authentified user, enabling sending mail without reseller control

if anyone had knowledge of another domain of other client in the same server, he could overload his mail quota

Back