1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

smtp traffic by authentified user, not by email

Discussion in 'Plesk 10.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by ikaryn, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ikaryn

ikaryn New Pleskian

35%
    Hello, this situation:

- plesk 10.4 / linux
    - a suscription ej. domain.com, with mail service actived, and one mailbox mail1@domain.com
    - the user uses this mailbox, with their valid login and password as outgoing server configured in Outloot (or other mail cliente)
    - all ok

- however instead of using mail1@domain.com as ther email, he uses other email (existent or not, ej, other@otherdomain.com) as MAIL FROM: in outlook
    (exist an spf record in otherdomain.com dns, allowing sending mails from from this server ip)

- !!all outgoing traffic used by this user sending mails, does not appear in smtp stats (traffic by service report) and is not used for its traffic quota!!

I have doubts whether this can be something not covered by statistics or smtp statistics are based only on the user's MAIL FROM: and not on authenticated user

How I can control this traffic in the statistics?

thx

2. Faris Raouf

Faris Raouf Silver Pleskian Plesk Guru

30%
    This is very interesting.

So, what you are saying is if a customer using authenticated SMTP configures a FROM address in their email client that is not equal to any domain hosted in Plesk, the email traffic is not accounted in the usage stats for that customer.

I can see why this is happening. I guess the data is accounted for by domain, and since the FROM is not for a domain on the server, it is not tracked.

This is not exactly a bug, more of an oversight that probably needs to be addresses in a future release.

Good catch there! I had never thought about it or noticed it.

Please can you follow the instructions at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106113 so that Igor can pass this on to the developers?

3. ikaryn

ikaryn New Pleskian

35%
    thx Faris

---------------------------------------------------------------
    PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
    psa v10.4.4_build1013120126.11, #43, os_CentOS 5.5, 64bits

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
    smtp usage traffic is contabilized by "mail from" and not by mailbox authentified user

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    > create new suscription mydomain.com with email service
    > create new mailbox in this suscription, mail1@mydomain.com,
    > configure your mail client with this mailbox, using smtp mail server: mydomain.com or plesk ip, and
    this mailbox as login credentials
    mail: omg@anotherdomain.com
    smtp outgoing server: mydomain.com
    account name: mail1@mydomain.com,
    password: xxxxxx

> send 100mb emails with this account but using this FROM: omg@anotherdomain.com

telnet mydomain.com 25
    helo mydomain.com
    authplain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    mail from:<omg@anotherdomain.com>
    rctp to: info@google.com
    data
    ......bla.bla.bla.....(100mb of bla bla bla bla)
    quit

ACTUAL RESULT
    > home > suscriptions > mydomain.com > statistics > data transfer statistics
    smtp: used: 0.00 MB in: 0.00 MB out: 0.00 MB % of all: 0%

EXPECTED RESULT
    > home > suscriptions > mydomain.com > statistics > data transfer statistics
    smtp: used: 100.00 MB in: 0.00 MB out: 100.00 MB % of all: 100%

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    --------------------------------------------
    smtp usage statistics is aparently contabilized by "mail from" of emails, not by authentified user, enabling sending mail without reseller control

if anyone had knowledge of another domain of other client in the same server, he could overload his mail quota

4. ikaryn

ikaryn New Pleskian

35%
    igorG, any solution for this?