• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question SOA Expire Value out of recommended range

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
After entering my domain into the 'MXToolbox > Domain Health' resource, I was presented with the following warning notification:

"SOA Expire Value out of recommended range"

Supporting Screenshot
SOA Screenshot.png

After researching this, I found that the solution was to head into 'VPS > Websites & Domains > DNS Settings > SOA. Then I needed to ensure that the 'Use serial number format recommended by IETF and RIPE ' was checked as well as modify the default 'Expire' so that the figure represented a value between 2 - 4 weeks. I did this as per the below screenshot:

SOA DNS Screenshot.png
As to allow for the changes to be updated, I waited 48 hours to check MX Toolbox again. Unfortunately, the error is still present. Are there any other alterations, I would need to perform; in order to remedy the "SOA Expire Value out of recommended range" warning notification?

Hi there! I was also facing this problem. I don´t know if you already solved it but here goes the solution, you need to apply DNS Changes on the domain or on the server fns temlate settings. The easier way is to head to Tools & Settings > General Settings > DNS Template. You can edit your SOA records template here, then you need to Apply DNS template changes, follow the next steps and done!

I never did come across a suitable answer. Would be nice to know what the correct values are, which need to be inserted into the SOA Template.

Try to update SOA record for this domain with the following command:

# plesk bin dns --update-soa example.com -soa-serial-format yyyymmddnn

This will change setting all DNS servers to YYYYMMDDNN format recommended by RIPE Network Coordinate Centre on Plesk Master DNS server.

Try to update SOA record for this domain with the following command:

# plesk bin dns --update-soa example.com -soa-serial-format yyyymmddnn

This will change setting all DNS servers to YYYYMMDDNN format recommended by RIPE Network Coordinate Centre on Plesk Master DNS server.
Thanks for the SSH Command.

The command returned:
SUCCESS: Updating SOA record for example.com

I then proceeded with the below command, just in case it was required:

service ssh reload

I can see the changes are yet to be reflected in tools such as MX Toolbox. Would it just be a matter of waiting the usual 24-48 hours for the changes to propagate or is this a sign that there is something else I need to do?

Thanks for the SSH Command.

The command returned:

I then proceeded with the below command, just in case it was required:

I can see the changes are yet to be reflected in tools such as MX Toolbox. Would it just be a matter of waiting the usual 24-48 hours for the changes to propagate or is this a sign that there is something else I need to do?
Craig, did it work out? I got the same issue on my project

The correct range MXToolbox is looking for is between 2 weeks and 4 weeks. Anything shorter or longer than these values will incur the warning.

The correct range MXToolbox is looking for is between 2 weeks and 4 weeks. Anything shorter or longer than these values will incur the warning.

Ok, so I went in Plesk under: Tools & Settings > DNS Templates, clicked the button SOA Records templates. I left everything as it is, only changed:
Expire from the default 7 days to 2 weeks.
(Note that the "Use serial number format recommended by IETF and RIPE *" field was already checked and I did not change it.)
Clicked saved, and then there was a link I could click to apply those settings to existing domains. I clicked that too.

Now when I run MXToolBox I get an extra error:
- Serial numbers do not match
- SOA Expire Value out of recommended range

I was able to fix this warning by changing the SOA expire to 14 days.

Tools & Settings > DNS Template > Zone settings template

Then it asked if I wanted to update existing domains SOA records and I did.

I was able to fix this warning by changing the SOA expire to 14 days.

Tools & Settings > DNS Template > Zone settings template

Then it asked if I wanted to update existing domains SOA records and I did.
Thank @Mark12345 I also had the same issue and it has been resolved.

Thank you.

Back