• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

(solved) Application pool crashes: 503 Service Unavailable

brod73

New Pleskian
Today my server has dawned with completely K.O IIS, with the same symptoms that are discussed in this KB (Application pool crashes: 503 Service Unavailable): https://kb.plesk.com/en/113377

The only thing unusual is that tonight the last automatic update plesk was applied. According eventlog WAS errors (Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-WAS, Event ID: 5009, return code 0xc0000022) appear just after applying the update plesk.

Things I've tried to solve:

1. Run pleskreconfigurator.exe with all that I have seen to repair permissions, both the file system and the services and components of IIS. (unsuccessfully, When lifting the pool still does not work and turns to fall)

2. As KB say, changed the password of one user pool identity and re-assign it to the pool of the web. (unsuccessfully, When lifting the pool still does not work and turns to fall).

In the end, to lift the pools of the websites, I had to assign the user LocalSystem to all pool identities.

Right now I have all websites running with the user LocalSystem which I do not like anything!!!.

I suspect this is an issue with permissions, but the pleskreconfigurator.exe not been able to solve.

What actions / checks can do (preferably) first on a website to make it work with the correct pool identity and then apply it to other webs?

Some help needed please.
Thanks.

Last edited:
(sorry) My server specs:

Windows Server 2008 R1 Service Pack 1
Plesk 12.0.18 Actualización #79, última actualización 22/Mar/2016 03:29

PROBLEM SOLVED
Autopsy (for the record):

The problem (not applicable to others) has been my own fault.

My utility makes backup copies of all the files in the folder c:\windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv and c:\windows\System32\inetsrv. These folders contain a lot of hard links to other system files. A few weeks ago I restore a backup in c:\temp and these hard links were created in c:\temp\windows\syswow64\inetsrv. Plesk, after upgrading, it appears that sets deny permissions to all files in c:\temp for user psacln and group psaadm (that contains all user identity pools of the web). As a result (if you change permissions of hard link, it affects also to the original file) all dlls in the c:\windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv have ended without read permission for all user identity pools.

After restoring the correct permissions to files (comparing with another system), set new passwords to identity users and reassign each user to the respective pool, everything works correctly again.

Bufff... (I am sorry for the false alarm)

Back