• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Solving the shared hosting TLS mail problem with NGINX mail proxy

Niek_Beernink

Plesk Certified Professional
Plesk Certified Professional
Mail clients have been looking for a valid TLS certificate by default for a while now, however an smtp mail server such as postfix only supports one single certificate per server and doesn't know SNI like dovecot does. So we're dependant on the upstream software suppliers for SNI support. This creates a problem for customers looking to use smtp.example.org as their mail hosts on shared hosting servers and requires us to instruct the customer to:

1. Disable TLS if client insists of using smtp.example.org (bad)
  2. Change the smtp hostname to the server hostname (okay but requires a client change if the subscription is ever moved to another server)

I was wondering if anyone ever tried using NGINX as a mail proxy for shared hosting domains on plesk.

What would be needed for this?
  • A recompile of NGINX to add mail support. (nginx -V does not currently show mail support)
  • Some way to instruct plesk to add a config in nginx to route mail from the nginx mail proxy, remove the SSL and continue onto to the local mail server.
  • A HTTP authentication server or script that can talk to dovecot & postfix.

Thanks Brujo, my experience with that is that it'll take a long while before it will be implemented. I also think that the tools are pretty much present already so it might not be such a hard thing to do. I'll try and see if I can get it to work somehow as soon as I find some spare time. :)

my experience with that is that it'll take a long while before it will be implemented.
on one hand of course you are right, but anyway it would be a chance to get it someday implemented as standard for the comunity and it worth to do it.

Back