• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SpamAssassin Bayesian filter not working

Gepster

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have many customers frustrated with my company because they receive so much spam. SpamAssassin is running, and is blocking some of the email. However, I never see the bayesian filter listed in the headers when I examine emails. I see that SpamAssassis is auto learning at least some of the time. My account receive a fair amount of spam and has been auto-learning for months. In addition, I have added hundreds of emails to the Spam folder in my mail account, but I still don't see the bayesian filter kicking in.

I have tried to use sa-learn.bat, but it always returns an error. So, I don't know how to find out how much spam and ham has been collected for me. Nor do I know how to train it manually.

For example, here is the
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=12.6 required=7.0 tests=FH_HELO_EQ_D_D_D_D, FROM_STARTS_WITH_NUMS,HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2,HTML_MESSAGE,MIME_HTML_ONLY, RDNS_NONE,TVD_RCVD_IP autolearn=spam version=3.3.1

Specific Questions:
How can I run sa-learn on a Windows server with Plesk?
How can I verify the daily maintenance script is training the filter?

Plesk 11.0.9 Update #45 - Mail Enable - SpamAssassin 3.3.1

Thank you for the quick replies.

I sent the test as described in the first link. Here is the result:

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.1 (2010-03-16) on MS-WEB-1
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Level: **************************************************
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=1002.4 required=7.0 tests=FREEMAIL_FROM,GTUBE,
HTML_MESSAGE,RDNS_NONE,TVD_SPACE_RATIO,T_DKIM_INVALID autolearn=no
version=3.3.1
X-Spam-Report:
* 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is freemail (mlgvb[at]aol.com)
* (mlgvb[at]aol.com) (btpfeif[at]msn.com) (snud29[at]gmail.com)
* (jayveenker[at]hotmail.com) (maria_davydov[at]hotmail.com)
* (bearsden8[at]hotmail.com) (bearsden8[at]hotmail.com)
* (mlgvb[at]aol.com) (mlgvb[at]aol.com) (mlgvb[at]aol.com)
* (robertedjar[at]aol.com) (sumwa[at]yahoo.com)
* (toddgoepferd[at]gmail.com)
* 1000 GTUBE BODY: Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email
* 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
* 2.4 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
* 0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
* 0.0 TVD_SPACE_RATIO TVD_SPACE_RATIO​

I don't know if this was supposed to reveal whether the bayesian filter was attempted or not, but I don't see any indication that it was.

The second link was for the training page which no longer exists in Plesk. The third link discussed SA not running after applying license. In my case, SA is definately running, but not applying the bayesian filter.

I have figured out how to train the filter on Windows. I have to specify the path to the bayesian database instead of trying to specify which user SpamAssassin should use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Additional\SpamAssassin>sa-learn --dump all --dbpath C:\PROGRA~2\PARALL~1\Plesk\Additional\SpamAssassin\SpamFilterUserCon
figsPath\[email protected]\.spamassassin

So, I have trained Spam Assassin using 2000 known SPAM messages and 1300 HAM messages. Still, I see no BAYES lines in the X-Spam headers. I am expecting to see something like this:

3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%

Does anyone know how I restart spam assassin? When I look for it in the windows services list, I don't see anything that indicates SA.

Thanks,
Todd Goepferd
http://clicklogicinc.com

SA hasn't own service controller. Perl process will be started when necessary. Therefore I don't understand what do you mean - restart SA?
You can just kill perl.exe process in Task Manager at least.

Back