• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spell Checker / Aspell / Horde / Plesk for Windows

C

Cyber River

Would anyone know the steps / how to get aspell ( or any spell checker ) to work with horde on a Windows 2003 / Plesk for Windows (8.3) system?

Have installed aspell and dictionary from http://aspell.net/win32/

Have tried changes to following changes to the - D:/inetpub/vhosts/webmail/horde/imp/config/conf.php - file

1. $conf['utils']['spellchecker'] = 'D:\inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\Aspell\data\bin\aspell.exe';

2. $conf['utils']['spellchecker'] = 'D:\inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\Aspell\data\bin\';

With either of these the it goes to a spell check page and says done but doesn't really check any spelling just list the text in the message and says no errors - even though I have made several intentional errors that any spell checker would detect?

3. $conf['utils']['spellchecker'] = 'aspell';
Produces the following:
CGI Error:
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

If a Technical Genius could post us quick how to do this - step 1,2,3,..... =success procedure. I know myself and am sure all the others needing a 'webmail with spell checking' solution for Horde / Plesk for Windows would be grateful!!!

Cyber River

By default ASpell is installed into C:\Program Files\Aspell so I believe this is the exact folder you need to specify in conf.php.

Same Result Regardless of where the Aspell program is installed

Have tried installing Aspell in ' c:\Program Files\Aspell ' & ' c:\Aspell ' as well as the location / path mentioned above:

Getting the same results regardless of where it is installed or the corresponding path used to direct it to that installation.

The Solution - Courtesy of Plesk Support

The technical kudos go to Oleg Beznosov via RT of Plesk Support!

Thank you very much for your help Oleg!!!

Below are the steps taken - I have added a few details to the instructions to attempt to help to clarify

This is what worked for us on a Windows 2003 with Plesk 8.3. No Guarantees of course / proceed at your own risk.

1. Adjusted horde to use aspell
- In the file D:\inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\imp\config\conf.php
- Below the very bottom line add the line

$conf['utils']['spellchecker'] = 'aspell';

2. Downloaded full aspell installer and dictionary from http://aspell.net/win32/ & installed it to C:\Aspell

3. Granted permissions to user IUSRPLESK_horde ( Read & Execute / List / Read ) on this folder to let horde be able to access it.
- Right click Aspell folder > click sharing & security > security tab > add > advanced > find now > select > IUSRPLESK_horde > grant permissions

4. Added C:\aSpell\bin to Windows system variable path.
- Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables > Highlight the ' Path ' variable > Edit > 'ctrl + end' to go to the end of the line and add at the very end of the line

;C:\Aspell\bin

> then ok > ok > ok

5. Restarted the server to apply the system variable change

6. Logged into Horde / Webmail and tested spell checker working successfully.

Back