• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SPF setup

amit290

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I've searched and read hundreds of topics on SPF on this forum but still cant quite get my head around it so hoping someone can clear this up for me. I started looking into it a few weeks ago after finding e-mails to hotmail dont get delivered, not even to the JUNK folder. I suspect the likes of Yahoo and AOL will be giving me the same problem.

I have 2 ip addresses with ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com pointing to each one. Both have PTR records. My incoming and outgoing mail server is set to mail.domain.com .

My DNS looks like this:

domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.45
ftp.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.45
mail.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.45
ns1.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.45
ns2.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.46
webmail.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.112.45
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
domain.com. MX (10) mail.domain.com.
xxx.xxx.112.45 / 24 PTR domain.com.
xxx.xxx.112.46 / 24 PTR domain.com.
domain.com. TXT v=spf1 a:mail.domain.com -all
mail.domain.com. TXT v=spf1 a:mail.domain.com -all

------

Can you something wrong with that? Any other ideas why my e-mails dont get delivered (or bounced) from Hotmail?

Also.... if I use web mail, do I need to add something to the SPF record?

I hope someone can help me out with this one.

Yep have read that one but that seems to suggest how to solve when sending via PHP. This is from Outlook or Thunderbird. POP3 / IMAP connections.

if your email is being relayed through your provider, you may need to add their domain name and/or ip address in the spf records because the receiving mail server sees the email as coming from the relay. That was what happened to me.

Sounds like something to look into. Is there a way of me finding this out? or would i need to ring the VPS provider?

Would be best to call your provider. My provider has as many as six ip addresses in their relay that I had to add to the SPF records.

Back