• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

sql admin

E

emsol

As standard, plesk installed mssql on our server - We moved away from plesk 6.5 for windows some time ago becasue of all the nasty bugs but I decided to keep the sql installation as customers had DB's in use.

The problem I have is the password - plesk set up the admin user as SA but there is no way of finding out what the password should be - or resetting it. The password was never made available.

Can anyone help ?

Do you know the standard admin password used by plesk for mssql - or could you advise of a tool that will somehow allow the server admin to reset the password ?

edit... I should point out that this is msde (if it makes any difference)

I'd really appreciate some help here.

If any plesk support staff read these forums, can you please PM me because i really need to have this information.

I cant contact plesk via the server support form as we dont have a license anymore.

Surely someone must know !!

thanks paul.

As far as I can remember the plesk admin account is always set to something like "login" as standard by the installation - then the first time you use it, you have to change the password.

If I'm right - It sets up the msde installation at the same time as the plesk installation so there is no chance for it to create the password as anything other than what is coded into the installation program.

I'd like to hear from anyone who actually knows what their MSDE admin password is from a standard installation. Perhaps I'm wrong but I dont remember ever being asked to create one when it was installed.

Have you tried the "admin" password - the pasword you would have had to set when you went into the plesk for the first time?

Managed to get in using an msde manager tool - switched to Mixed authentication and then changed the sql password that way.

I found this on another forum. My mssql password in Plesk seemed to have been corrupted or something... anyway, I could not add mssql databases. Anyway, here is a solution I tried and verified does work. I found this on a different forum....

----------------------------
CHANGING A PASSWORD FOR MSSQL

I just thought I'd mention the command line for changing MSDE 'sa' password, since, to be honest, it looks far easier to me It's a 4 step thing.

1. Login to the Windows via Remote Desk Top
2. Open CMD (Start -> Run -> type: cmd and push enter)
3. cd c:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn
4. osql -E -Q "EXEC sp_password @new='newpassword', @loginame = 'sa'"

The only thing you need to change is "newpassword" with the password you actually wish to set for 'sa' user.

5. Login to PLESK, and click on SERVER ==> DATABASES

You should be in the MSSQL password interface. Change the PW to what you just set in #4 above and all should be well.

Note: that it's not loginname, but loginame (only 1 n). If you typed everything correctly, you should get an extra
line saying that the password is changed. Just copy/paste from here, change the "newpassword" and you can't get it wrong.

Back