• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

SSH Last failed login: How to Improve security ??

Peter_R

Basic Pleskian
Hello i have a fresh Host Edition Installation and it was runing for about a week.
This is my second time i logged in to my server using SSH this week, and i noticed alarming message.

"Last failed login: Sun Jan 31 22:32:35 EST 2016 from xxx.xxx.142.71 on ssh:notty
There were 42278 failed login attempts since the last successful login."

Looks like there are a lot of hits on my server SSH port.

How can i increase the security to prevent hacking or someone trying to abuse my ssh connection?
Any advise?

I am newbie.
Thanks

Thank you for your reply
very helpful

also would be ok to change SSH port under Centos7 ? or not recommende?
i wonder if port change might affect any Plesk Functionality ?

Thanks

Hi,
would be ok to change SSH port under Centos7

I've changed the ssh-Port to an unusual port (in /etc/ssh/sshd_config). I closed port 22 in the firewall an opened the "unusual" port.
Additional I add a "special" user with a normal shell (/bin/bash) who is allowed to login. "root" is disabled to login via ssh on default.

fail2ban is a good choice too. ;-)

best regards
Holger

Thank you i used fail2ban and seems to be under control , ips get banned and if someone is persistent i am adding their ip to block list on my Zywall :)

Back