• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved sub domain showing default page

SR-NET

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a sub domain issue with Plesk 10.3.1 running on Linux.

I have created a sub domain for one of our Web sites and have uploaded files to the subdomain folder designated on the GUI when then subdomain was created. The sub domain A DNS entry points to the IP address of the server/shared IP.

When I try to access the sub domain, I get the default PLESK page instead of the actual content.

Any ideas on how I can fix this ? The sub domain was created using the PLESK GUI and the setup looks correct.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Suresh

There are two sides to making a domain work:
1) DNS
2) Apache configuration

Typically, when you get a default page is means the DNS is correct (A record pointing to your server) but apache configuration hasn't happened.

One simple thing you can do is try restarting apache, in case the configuration has happened but has not been loaded.

Also check the configuration files are correct etc.

Also check by going to the full page name. e.g. not just http://sub.domain.com but to sub.domain.com/name-of-some-page.html in case there's a more subtle thing going on.

And you can also try using httpdmng is reconfigure the domain in case something went wrong for some reason.

Also check logs -- always a good idea! See if there are any errors for the domain.

On the setting up the subdomain; point it to a new folder - I found default folders in plesk gui dont resolve automatically

Could be related to the dns caching issue as well. Normally subdomains will not take time to display. But would be better to confirm if its loading the required page from a proxy website. If you are sure that everything is fine on server try from a different location and see the results.

Cheers
Arun.

Hi Faris, DWMTS1 and ArunS,

Thank you all for your input.

I have sorted this issue out and I am posting here how I did in case someone else has the same issue in the future.

Actually, it was something that was so simple and obvious that I overlooked it.

When the sub domain is created, PLESK places the default index.html file in that folder. I uploaded the sub domain content via FTP but forgot that my default page was index.php (not .html) - this made both index files to be present in the sub domain root folder and PLESK was showing the .html file and not the .php file.

I simply deleted the .html file and it just worked perfectly.

The confusion was due to the fact that PLESK shows the same default page on all sites including sub domains, the main IP address etc. Perhaps it would be a good idea to show the domain name or the sub domain name in the default PLESK page.

Thanks again for your input on this.

Best regards,
Suresh

Hi Faris, DWMTS1 and ArunS,

Thank you all for your input.

I have sorted this issue out and I am posting here how I did in case someone else has the same issue in the future.

Actually, it was something that was so simple and obvious that I overlooked it.

When the sub domain is created, PLESK places the default index.html file in that folder. I uploaded the sub domain content via FTP but forgot that my default page was index.php (not .html) - this made both index files to be present in the sub domain root folder and PLESK was showing the .html file and not the .php file.

I simply deleted the .html file and it just worked perfectly.

The confusion was due to the fact that PLESK shows the same default page on all sites including sub domains, the main IP address etc. Perhaps it would be a good idea to show the domain name or the sub domain name in the default PLESK page.

Thanks again for your input on this.

Best regards,
Suresh
A was getting crazy with this issue.. spend some hours and finally I found this solution.. Thanks bro!

Back