• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Subdomains not working with domains containing wildcard

TomBeh

New Pleskian
I've migrated from 9.x to a 10.4.4 server, and have the following problem.

I have a domain with a wildcard, CNAMED to an application server elsewhere. *.example.com CNAME live.app.com

Originally the subdomains were A records in the single DNS zone. The problem is that now subdomains have their own DNS zone, the wildcard in the primary zone's master domain takes precedence. And I can't add the subdomain to the main DNS zone as it conflicts.

All the other solutions I can find to this are to do with ordering domains for catch all using Apache Vhost ordering, not using a wildcard DNS record. The apache solution won't work here as the wildcard domain (lower priority than subdomains) is hosted on a different server.

Any way around this? I'm almost at the point of giving up and moving the affected subdomains to another domain that doesn't have a wildcard. But that's going to cause lots of problems and work in itself. Is there a way back to the original single zone method for this domain?

Back