• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Subscription Expirations

DaveKay

Regular Pleskian
There seems to be a fair amount of talk in relation to not being able to extend subscriptions after the service plans' default expiration period.

This is a problem for anyone that uses Plesk panel for hosting a small number of "personal/private" websites, for friends for example.

A number of virtual server providers do not offer Plesk Panel with Customer & Business manager as part of the license.

I have one server that I use for hosting websites for friends and colleagues that pay me once a year for hosting. I do not need a billing solution on this server, however, I do need the ability to be able to manually extend the subscription without locking it to syncing. This lack of functionality is a real pain, and I'm having to edit the psa database everytime I want to extend a subscription.

What would be really useful is the ability to extend their subscriptions without locking them. I understand that a subscriptions expiry period is defined in the service plan, and this is useful for a larger host that uses a billing system. However, for someone that doesn't run one, there is no way to extend a subscription without loosing the ability to keep hosting subscriptions syncable with plan settings.

A system wide option for the service plan sync to "ignore" the start date in the subscription would enable you to easily extend the subscription validity period, yet keep the functionality of being able to roll-out changes to the service plan hosting settings. Exactly how it used to work in PP v10.

I'm sure the return of this function would be very much appreciated by various panel users world wide, and increase the usability for many smaller/private hosting providers.

Hi, out of curiosity - why would the one need to have expiration for hosting "personal/private" websites? I thought it would be easier to set them to never expire.

When I say "personal/private" websites, what I really meant is anyone hosting websites for friends, but still charging for the service.

In my case, I have one of a few servers that hosts websites for web design clients. These clients are manually billed annually. This server does not need any kind of billing software which would normally extend a subscriptions expiry date.

Surely there must be people who use Plesk for small-scale hosting service provision - without any kind of billing software they are unable to extend a subscription expiry date.

@Dave,
I'm in the same situation. The hosting provider I rent my VPS from doesn't provide the Plesk Customer and Billing Manager, and I invoice annually, often with additional non-hosting related services.

Since the change, Plesk has lost a lot of the benefit of a control panel, as it's no longer possible to make global changes with a template and applying it without suspending all subscriptions that are synchronised.
Having to manually update a number of subscriptions is very inconvenient.

Back