• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Suggested OS?

K

kieranmullen

We currently have a fully array of Ensim and Hosting Controller servers.

I am looking at deploying Plesk and Virt as well.

We have been running RH but I was wanting to know what OS'es are used by most folks here or suggested.

RH, FreeBSD or Fedora?

thanks all

I would say (judging from the posts) that the majority of people are running RH/FC/ES/CentOS (all RH related), and much fewer people using FreeBSD and Suse.

It also appears that the user base of CentOS is growing fairly rapidly. RH 7/8 are few. RH9 will be decreasing since Plesk has now announced they will stop supporting RH9 after this year.

Why would they stop supporting a commercial OS like RH9?

What are the advantages of CentOS over Fedora?

Thanks

KMq

RH9 has already reached 'end of life' by RedHat themselves. I can only imagine that Plesk does not want to continue spending R&D money to keep newer versions running under 'old and outdated' OS's. Personally I wish they would not drop RH9, since I find it to be extremely stable.

I will leave it to others to answer your question:
What are the advantages of CentOS over Fedora?
I am in a quandry myself, but am leaning towards CentOS for any new servers.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
RH9 has already reached 'end of life' by RedHat themselves. I can only imagine that Plesk does not want to continue spending R&D money to keep newer versions running under 'old and outdated' OS's. Personally I wish they would not drop RH9, since I find it to be extremely stable.

I will leave it to others to answer your question: I am in a quandry myself, but am leaning towards CentOS for any new servers.

Hmm well I cant say that was too helpful but thanks anyway.

I meant to say we are running RHEL so I geuss RH9 inst too much of a concern. However we would like to go to an open OS for the bottom line. Of course if support and stability are affected, then the bottom line doesnt really matter.
:)

I would say CentOS would be the best place to go from RedHat 9.

I too will be unhappy that RH9 won't be supported by Plesk because it will mean I'll be forced to change OSes for the second time in 4 years. (I started with RH7.2 and had to move to 9 when Plesk stopped supporting that). I would have throught they would continue to support it, however, as there is a huge existing userbase and given that updates are still being put out for it via the Fedora Legacy Project....

Still, it IS about time to update. RH9 is rather long in the tooth in a way.

Faris.

What about the rest...

Don't forget Debian. I never used it but don't forget how much money 1and1.com is pumping in ads all over the world. Yes I said all over the world. Thy are everywhere! magazines, computer mags, and when they advertise I always see 2-7 pages ads.

On the web-panel of 1and1 they no longer offer RedHat re-image these are the choices as of today:
Select image:
Debian 3.0 (old stable/woody) minimal system
Debian 3.1 (testing/sarge) minimal system
SUSE 9.1 minimal system
Fedora Core 2 with Plesk 7.5
Fedora Core 2 minimal system
I am not sure how many users have the root servers or how many they just do the 4.xx/month hosting with them but I would think it would be in SW-Soft/Plesk's intent to keep them happy or at least do some R&D for the above mentioned O/Ses, or the other way around?

I see no CentOS mentioned above, nor FreeBSD. My RH9 is working fine but I would soon want to upgrade to *something* I would like to sync my 1and1 with the 2nd server and having 2 separate O/Ses will have its issues.

EnigmaX - if you notice, they specify 'minimal install', not 'with Plesk 7.5' for Debian
Debian 3.0 (old stable/woody) minimal system
Debian 3.1 (testing/sarge) minimal system
from your post, the only one they promote with Plesk is the FC2 image.

The ole distribution question. ;)

I was very happy plesk will support debian as of 7.5.3 (or was it 7.5.2?).

I'd call myself a linux pro and I just love this distro because of it's really great package manager apt. Apt is easy to manage and solves depencies greatly. A whole System upgrade is done by just typing (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade). IMHO there's only one package manager that beats apt and this is emerge that comes with gentoo linux which I wouldnt prefer for a server installation.

My experiences whith Plesk on debian are not that much. I have installed 2 machines with it but no production server. Next saturday we'll move to one.

Debian also will developed in future because it's distributor independent. There's no big company in the background which can cut support and stuff. Debian is a community project. Also Debian has the biggest community worldwide. If you get a problem with debian, I'm shure you'll find the right answer out there.

So, just my 0.02 €

Back